vibration - need a non-engineering explaination

I'm looking for a textbook or paper(s) which explains vibration, fundamental frequency (s), harmonics, and modes in non-engineering terms. I do not need all the mathematical background. The problem is that these concepts need explained to a group of people who have no engineering or physics background.

Reply to
Alan Krem, Krem Speed Equipment

try using analogies. hmm comparing vibrations as bumps on the road. and harmonics as hmm hills. i mean may be using simple analogies of every day might help

good luck

-- Hasta Luego

Irshaad (Faster than Bruce Lee)

remove the X to reply snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net

Reply to
Irshaad

I think you can get a start with these texts:

Schaum's Outline Series, Theory and Problems of Mechanical Vibrations, William W. Seto, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 07-056327-6 The first chapter gives a very brief explanation with a few examples. College Outline Series, Physics Problems and How to Solve Them, Clarence E. Bennett, Barnes & Noble See chapters 6 and 8

These are still engineering oriented, but may help with a simplified explanation. Try a Slinky to demonstrate. I think the plastic ones are better Try several identical drinking glasses with various levels of water. Try a length of clothes (?) line rope.

Jim Y

Reply to
Jim Y

Thanks to all that had suggestions. The examples will work well and I believe the Schaum's Outline Series may provide the less technical terms.

Reply to
Alan Krem, Krem Speed Equipment

I highly recommend the following book for a qualitative explanation:

Vibration by R. E. D. Bishop

It is out-of-print, but Amazon has a used one for sale.

In addition, I have posted some vibration articles at:

Tom Irvine

Reply to
Tom Irvine