Wanted method to predict Octet Truss performance made from carbon-fibers

I am looking for information regarding the mechanical performance of octet trusses. Specifically I seek information relevent to struts made of composite materials, specifically carbon fibers rated at 560ksi, e-glass rated at 100 ksi.

Performance values using metals are acceptable.

References, website links, private data, anything helps at this point.

Unrelated question: is it fair to say generally, for first approximation purposes, that carbon-fiber composites have a compressive strength of about 15% of their tensile strength?

Thank You, Lion Kuntz Santa Rosa, California, USA

Palaces For The People

You might find some info by searching on Zepplin --the new airship has a carbon fiber truss inside...

Reply to
Doug Milliken

I have used carbon fiber. Mostly good for tension and shear. Go to the website for Master Builders. They handle carbon fiber products.

Reply to
Chuck

Well a carbon fiber truss is not necessarily an "octet truss", which is very specifically "a truss made of entirely equilateral triangles composed of repeating iterations of OCtahedrons and TETrahedrons, and all struts are the exact same length". I am looking more for informtion about OCTETs than about carbon trusses, although I wouldn't mind finding information about both in the same instance if anybody has done that yet.

I did follow up on your suggestion of keyword zeppelin, but there was nothing of a technical performance data online. So the question still is out there. OCTET trusses have been built periodically since Buckminster Fuller patented them back in 1962 (patent # 2,986,241), so there should be some performance data, testing data... Somebody? Anybody? Does the work have to be done over from scratch because the data has been lost? (Actually, Alexander Graham Bell invented the Octet Truss half a century before Bucky, but Bucky didn't know that when he patented it.)

... Lion Kuntz snipped-for-privacy@ecosyn.us

Reply to
Palaces For The People

Here's one reference:

Deshpande, V.S., Fleck, N.A., and Ashby, M.F., Effective Properties of the Octet-Truss Lattice Material, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 49 (8), pp. 1747-1769, 2001

George Elkins

Reply to
George Elkins