curly carbon fibers anybody?

I am seeking sources, other than making them myself, of curly carbon fibers either of PAN or pitch precursor. The radius of curvature should be about

0.25 to 1.5 inch, doesn't have to be uniform. Price IS an object and quantity of several cubic feet of this wool is desired. Also entertain same in SiC.

Prof. K

Reply to
William Kaukler

If it is continuous fibre originally, you could pass the precursor through a texturising machine, which bulks up the fibre by crimping and tangling itself. Maybe one of the decorative textile manufacturers could help?

Reply to
Terry Harper

What did my first sentence say? and price is an object.

Prof. K

Reply to
William Kaukler

Precisely. You want curly fibres. Single twisted yarn will be curly if unwound overend from the bobbin. The amount of curl depends on the amount of twist. Having got your bulk of curled fibre you then convert it into carbon fibres.

I presume your bleat is either because you don't want bulked fibre, or because you don't want to do the latter stage yourself. If it is the bulked fibre you don't like, then adopt the single yarn route. If the latter, find someone to do it for you then, but don't complain at getting suggestions which are viable.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Thanks. Second response was better than the first. Didn't want crimped or tangled, just circular individual curls or loops. Prefer fibers not be stuck to one another which wool precursor will cause. Yarn and spool idea was very good step in right direction. Prof. K

Reply to
William Kaukler

applause, whistle, la-oh-la-wave, "ooh! ooh! ooh!", nod nod nod.

Doc D :-)

Reply to
dave.lister

Another helpful response! Hurray! Very constructive. Now the sensible people have been frightened away.

Dr. K :-}

Reply to
William Kaukler