Boilerplate!

Could someone please confirm what the 'chemical makeup' of the steel
grade(s) commonly known as 'boilerplate'?
I'm using it as a description in a project, and wish to describe it as
it as its elemental structur, rather than just 'boilerplate'.
Many thanks
Artie
Reply to
turbo.bitz
Artie:
Literally "boiler plate" means a material that is listed in the Boiler Code (officially known in the USA as the ASME Code for Boilers and Pressure Vessels). Obviously there are many such materials ranging from carbon steels to alloy steels containing many other elements. See for example:
Figuratively it means "the usual stuff", typically a plain carbon steel consisting of iron with less than 0.3% carbon and 1.5% manganese which can easily be fabricated by welding. See also:
Pittsburgh Pete
DISCLAIMER
We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.
Reply to
metalengr
My understanding that once a plate of boiler plate is certified - yes high QA. Then the plate is marked. Each sub element of that sheet has the marks on them also. e.g. - carry the certification along from factory to a final product.
Martin
Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
> My understanding that once a plate of boiler plate is certified - yes high > QA. > Then the plate is marked. Each sub element of that sheet has the marks on > them also. > e.g. - carry the certification along from factory to a final product. > > Martin > > Martin Eastburn > @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net > NRA LOH & Endowment Member > NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder > IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member > > > snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >> Artie: >> >> Literally "boiler plate" means a material that is listed in the >> Boiler Code (officially known in the USA as the ASME Code for Boilers >> and Pressure Vessels). Obviously there are many such materials ranging >> from carbon steels to alloy steels containing many other elements. See >> for example: >> >>
>> Figuratively it means "the usual stuff", typically a plain carbon >> steel consisting of iron with less than 0.3% carbon and 1.5% manganese >> which can easily be fabricated by welding. See also: >> >>
>> Pittsburgh Pete >> >> DISCLAIMER >> >> We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information >> furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information >> may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you >> paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or >> sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy. >> > >
Reply to
digitalmaster

Site Timeline