brass dimentional stability

HI,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the structural stability of brass after it's been machined? example: If I formed a cylinder out of solid brass round stock on the lathe, and milled and opening in one side, similar to a clarinet or saxophone mouthpiece -would the part warp or move over time? Is it necessary to apply heat to the part, ie stress relief to lock it into its machined form?

My concern is that the force of the tool bit would twist the bar stock in the lathe and then after the part is made it would slowly find its way back and warp. Also the wall of the cylinder would be thin and large amounts of force and heat would be applied to remove the stock in order to form the part.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Reply to
cjb

rec.crafts.metalworking

Expect to be grilled for more detailed information. ;)

It's a big/busy newsgroup so... lots of smart alecks and truely smart guys both, hang out there.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj