Cleaning carbon steel

Hello:
I'm looking for a procedure for cleaning rusted carbon steel as well
as options to avoid it rusting.
Currently I'm at 1) remove rust with a stainless steel brush (on a
pneumatic tool for example), 2) use 60 grit sand paper for the tough
to reach spots like bored holes and 3) coat with an oil to repel
water.
I'd like recommendations on the oil as well as any experiences.
thank you for your help.
Reply to
tusko86
Its flange and will get quite hot. But for now its a stock component and needs to wait out in storage for a few years.
Reply to
tusko86
I'd get some VCI anti-rust paper - ULINE sells it and others. Wrap up the parts in the paper. They do Machine tools that way. Use Google on the product name. Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
you may apply phosphate coating on the object before storing, this process forms very thin layer (few microns) and improves corrosion resistance
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
Reply to
ABDOU
Vasoline is something that doesn't evaporate as quickly as oil will work longer.
Found it works longer on guns.
YMMV
ABDOU [who t> you may apply phosphate coating on the object before storing,
That's exactly what I was thinking too. :)
Want to add that the oils/greases (or even paint) that soaks into the pourous Phosphate coating makes the phosphate coating the darling of industry.
I use phosphoric acid to remove rust from tools and I like the looks of the finish it leaves. Some gun bluing (cold) will darken it even more if you want.
Alvin in AZ
Reply to
alvinj

Site Timeline