Low Carbon Steel Oxidation - Dryer Banks

Hello everyone, I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can help me with an engineering issue, I am looking to re fit a dryer bank with low carbon steel (AISI 1040) dryer units that have a working environment of 160 Celcius.

The original units were coated and this coating has peeled off contaminating the substrate, prior to this stainless steel AISI 410 was

considered though this was unsuccessful as our print process was affected.

I am concerned with 'oxidation' of the low carbon steel units if we purchase them uncoated, though my previoius experience of low carbon steel dryers in the automotive industry (though on a larger scale) did not oxidate at the same 160 Celcius.

Any advice on a low carbon steel that would be better suited to this application would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Ben

Any low carbon steel at this temperature in the presence of moisture will rust vigorously. As you are unwilling to consider stainless, then the advice you seek centers on these alternatives

1) a non-rusting material other than SS 2) a protective coat

Here are some options...

1) Non-ferrous materials: Metals... aluminum - when anodized appropriately can give good service bronze inconel nimonic brass nickel titanium magnesium

Non-metals... glass silica glass-loaded acetal thermoset polyurethane ceramics

2) Coatings Electro-plate copper copper nickel copper nickel chrome silver gold aluminum

Ceramic

Plastic powder-coat

2-part epoxy

Paint

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Thanks Brian,

I am not against SS, my concern has been that the SS dryer does not dissapate the heat quickly enough and has heat affected the substrate.

Whilst the drying environment is completely moisture free I am confident that galvanising the low carbon steel would offer corrosion / oxidation resistance at the drying temperature of 160 Celcius, I am really after confirmation that that is correct.

Or do I trust my own judgement.

Ben

Reply to
Ben

If the steel racks were moisture free they would not rust with any rapidity, I'd think. But hot dip galvanizing is a very well established way of holding off corrosion. So you are right, no doubt - unless there's something in the environment you haven't mentioned

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott