medium carbon steel pipe

Hey all,

I'm in the need for some steel pipe in normal and not normal schedule 80 sizes that can be hardened. I'm making boatbuilders caulking mallets. I've thought about using mild steel pipe and case hardening them, but even so I need some strange sizes: All ID: 2 1/4, 1 7/8, 1 3/4, 1 1/2

Thanks for any help you have, Eide

Reply to
Eide

You aren't looking for pipe, you're looking for tubing. Tubing is available in a multitude of wall thicknesses and outside diameters, so you should be able to find what you're looking for, made of 4130, which is readily heat treatable. Check in your yellow pages to see if you have such a supplier locally. Keystone Marmon is one of them, but there are others, including Jorgensen.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I suppose it should be easier to find if I know what it's called! Thanks Harold.

Reply to
Eide

When you go shopping keep in mind that tubing is spec'ed by OD and wall. OD is typically some relatively even fractional inch sizes, wall will be in the decimal equivilent of the old gauge system. Wall thicker than .125" will be spec'ed in inches.

So some 1" 16ga tube will be spec'ed as 1"x.062" Heavy wall 2" would be spec'ed something like 2"x.187 wall.

Eide wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Hmm, I once had this chain-link fence post (the pipe that runs across the top) that was nasty stuff. Some pieces I was working needed a flattened end, so I got out the forge and smashed 'em down. In a hurry I quenched them in water. After dulling a drill bit or two I spark tested and lo and behold, these are something around 1050-1060! Probably "A36"...

Or rebar, but that isn't hollow. I haven't been following your thread and don't know why you need hollow stock. And....fence pipe is SCH40, not the

80 you say you need. So .. I'll sit down now...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

My pleasure!