Cockshutt 20 tractor anyone know a value on these

I had someone offer me a Cockshutt 20 tractor runs fine the front end is off something else. it has a front loader but was un able to test it the hydro pump is pissing out fluid. I will post a picture at

Waynemak

Here are some tractor values. Looks like yours could be $800-2000 DOC. The paint looks pretty sad on yours but mechanical and sheet metal condition is the key.

Peterson

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Why do you think the front end is off something else? Cockshutt was made by a Canadian Farmer's Co-op and probably used what was available at the time. Kind of like International Harvester in this country.

Dad bought a Cockshutt in about 1958 for use on the dairy farm. I think it was used at the time. Seemed like it would run forever with little or no maintenance. I remember it was really underpowered for what we used it for.

Your picture shows the tractor doesn's have it's origional paint, if that is of any concern to you. Our's was red and looks like this one was yellow.

Does thi help any?

Paul

Waynemak wrote:

Reply to
pdrahn

I think the front end is off something else as well... a Massey-Harris, just like all the other parts! Who decided it was a Cockshutt? Of course the Massey was originally red as well, unless it was an industrial model.

I'd rather have a Cockshutt.

George Willer

Reply to
George Willer

Reply to
Waynemak

Reply to
Waynemak

O.K., so the owner doesn't know what he has. How about showing him a picture of a Massey-Harris 20?

This one has a NF, but is otherwise much like the one in the oversized blurry picture you sent.

I have pictures of Cockshutt 20s belonging to friends, and that one ain't even close.

George Willer

Reply to
George Willer

The Cockshutt company was NOT a farmer's co-op, and nor was international harvester.

The Norseman was a "co-op" tractor, and there were lots of other "assembled" tractors made of various generic parts.

The Cockshutt was a pretty good tractor, and their ploughs and other equipment were also well respected (including their combines) Cockshutt, Oliver, and Minniapolis Moline joined together under the White Farm Equipment umberella in the early-mid sixties. Fiat tractors were also under that umbrella for several years before Allis and Fiat joined forces in the mid to late seventies.

1827 The Cockshutt family - James, Mary and children Ignatius and Jane - immigrated to Canada from Lancashire, England. 1877 James G. Cockshutt, son of Ignatius, founded the original Cockshutt factory, THE BRANTFORD PLOW WORKS at Brantford, Ontario. He operated it until its incorporation in 1882. 1882 The business was incorporated as THE COCKSHUTT PLOW COMPANY, with James G. Cockshutt as president. Approximately 50 workers were employed. 1885 James Cockshutt died as the result of tuberculosis at 34 years of age. Managers bearing the Cockshutt name continued to operate the company until 1957. 1885 The JGC Sulky Plow, invented by James G. Cockshutt, was patented following his death by his wife and his brother W.F. Cockshutt. 1903 Cockshutt Plow Company employed 900 people in a modern plant built on a 33 acre site. 1910 The company went public, expanded their buildings and increased the number of employees to 1300. 1910 Cockshutt purchased ADAMS WAGON COMPANY, BRANTFORD CARRIAGE COMPANY, and FROST AND WOOD COMPANY to expand their line of machinery. 1914-1918 World War I - Cockshutt provided wagons and carriages for military use. Shiploads of farm machinery were exported to England. 1924-1928 During this period, the company was a Canadian distributor of Hart-Parr tractors. 1928-1933 Allis-Chalmers tractors were sold under the COCKSHUTT name. 1930 Oliver, now incorporated with Hart-Parr, produced COCKSHUTT tractors. Identical tractors were painted green for Oliver and red and cream for Cockshutt. 1930 Produced the "Tiller combine", selling 100 in their first year. 1939-1945 World War II - The company built aircraft parts, ambulance bodies, gun mounts and 100,000 hand grenades per month with up to 6,000 people being employed. 1946 The first actual Canadian COCKSHUTT tractor called the '30' went into production. 1953 Cockshutt expanded their operation by purchasing the National Farm Equipment Co-op at Bellevue, Ohio. 1957 English Transcontinental Company purchased controlling interest in the COCKSHUTT PLOW COMPANY and ran it under the name COCKSHUTT FARM EQUIPMENT COMPANY LTD. 1961 White Motor Corporation purchased part of the Brantford plant and the rights to the harvester/combine lines. Operating under the name COCKSHUTT FARM EQUIPMENT OF CANADA INC., they also took over the branches and many Cockshutt dealers.

I worked for a Cockshutt (farm equipment) dealer in the sixties, and a Fiat Allis (industrial equipment) dealer in the late seventies. From 1946 to 1957, all of the 2 digit model tractors were built entirely (except for some of their engines - by Cockshutt in Brantford Ontario. From 1958 on, all Cockshutt branded tractors were either Olivers or Miniapolis Molines, or Fiats painted in the Cockshutt colours of red and harvest gold, or red and white.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Yes - I looked at it and it is definitely a Massey Harris. Looks like a 20 or a 30, Possibly a 22. Definetely not a 33 or 44, because they had OHV engines. The side panels of the hood are missing, making it a bit harder to identify further.

I farmed with a 1949 MH44 for several years in the sixties. (along with a useless, gutless Cockshutt(Oliver) 540.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Looking at it closer, it really does NOT look like a 20 or 30 series MAssey - the Massey had a cast "bed" frame that the engine fit into - this one looks like a channel frame - much more like a Norseman or Co-Op - with a good portion of a Massey grafted on ----- Interesting Mongrel.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

You havent bought the lathe yet?????

That will make a goodie, based on the pics you sent. Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
Waynemak