OT - Outlook Express Problem

Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere in the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook Express (it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in update mode) but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

I had the same problem, look here,

1/2 way down the page is a link to a file, download and install it, problem solved. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

OE is actually part of Internet Explorer. You can repair an IE installation via Settings>Control Panel>Add / Remove Programs, select the MS IE line and double click, you should see an option to repair the installation; the line for MS OE does not allow you to repair the installation, but you can delete it and reinstall it from an IE disk (from your XP disk). Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Yes. Never every again click on the icon for Outlead Exploder. Its bad juju.

If you want to read the newsgroups, us a real newsgroup reader like Agent or similar. If you want to do email, use a real email program like Eudora, or Pegasus, etc etv

If you Absolutly have to have an intergrated package, download and instll the free Thunderbird. It does both rather well, without a built in suicide tendency.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

You are bad juju...

Fuckoff about OE, it works, betcha more than half of the people here know it and don't even care!

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Martin:

I've tried that but neither IE or OE show up in the list of installed programs (that's what made me think they are built in to XP).

Also tried Add/Remove Windows Components - both IE and OE show up there but all it does is remove access to the programs from the start menu.

I wonder if something else is cocked up here..........

To the guy who posted a web site to access a file to correct the problem, I accidently erased your post and would appreciate it if you could kindly post it again.

To the suggestion I switch to Eurdora, I have used Eurdora Free for years but tried OE and found I liked it better - I've had no problems with it except this one.

Thanks again for all who replied.........

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Correction to the above:

Have also used Free Agent for years, liked OE better and have had no problems with OE until now.

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

I can be your worst nightmare, kid. Dont push your luck.

Nearly half the population of the US are Democrats. So using numbers games to prove sanity is not particularly useful.

Want me to send you a real nice love letter, and see how good your OE security features are?

Be careful of what you wish for.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Then try Thunderbird. Its quite powerful, yet not prone to the script kiddy attacks

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I'm not sure about XP, but the spell checker problem I had with Win 98 was caused by deleting Windows Office Suite. In that system, Spell Checker actually resided in Windows Word.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Well...you missed your chance there... rifles are notoriously hard to shoot anything a few thousand miles away.

Eh, be my guest... I've probably got worse before. LOL

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Here you are again. This is a common problem with XP, my bet this will fix it.

I had the same problem, look here,

1/2 way down the page is a link to a file, download and install it, problem solved. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Many thanks - worked as advertised!

Laurie Forbes

Reply to
Laurie Forbes

Good grief...violence? Why whould I use violence?

You have been the recipient of nameless broadcast attacks, like most of us here. Being targeted is another story.

Been there, done that, lost the server.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Um, okay.. so, is my continued uninterrupted presence here testament to my security, or did you "press the button" and, nothing happening, prove that I can pass the test? Or did you simply not "press the button" at all because you have been, one might say....domesticated? ;-)

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

You sure you really really want to test your ability to prevent borders coming over the scuppers?

I rather like you, so didnt think busting your cherry would be the proper thing to do.

Deep down, at the core, I am a nice guy. The evil rotten twisted bastard on the surface tends to keep pushing the dirt back over him however.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

I had a feeling you were just being a teddy bear...

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

As someone mentioned in another post, if you had Microsoft Office on the computer and recently uninstalled it, or uninstalled Word, spell checking will no longer work. Outlook/Express does not have its own spell checker. If you still have it installed, then try the instructions here.

If you never had these programs to begin with, then you never had spell checking for Outlook Express.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises