Problem with computer

Most of the time when trying to open any folder on the desktop my system locks up. If I can open the desktop folder then all folders under a desktop folder seem to work O.K. The desktop folders especially dont like the double click opening rather then the right click and then click open.

Also, many times when a folder does open it does so only after it warns me that a DLL is missing and I click O.K.

Help please!!!!!

Reply to
Randy Story

Sporkman

Windows 2000 professional.

Reply to
Randy Story

I would suggest a re-install of W2K, and everything there after. It's a good way to clean up your system and backup important info. If you're afraid of losing something unforeseen, buy a new hard drive, and re-install W2K.

I've never heard of this problem with opening folders.

samurai.

Reply to
samurai

What dll file(s) does it say are missing? Did you do a search for them to check if this is true? (Such may happen I think if software is installed/uninstalled and the wrong answers provided or bad install/uninstall info exists. Some are quite poor at getting everything right, IMHO, including AOL.)

If the dll file exists check it's properties. Is it a forged or bogus file? Is it in the wrong directory?

A Google search will usually find replacemet files to download. Have you checked the disk for errors? Even an improper shutdown can cause them and disks do fail, often starting out by corrupting or losing files.

Do a FULL disk backup in any case. Then one of your important data files, such as the AOL organize directory, etc.

HTH

Reply to
Cliff

Whoops ... wrong newsgroup . (AOL has internal AOL-only NGs too, including ones for users to complain in - unmonitored by AOL we think.)

Try the rest anyway.

Reply to
Cliff