Assembly Drawing Question

Hello All,

I have to make an exploded view of a fairly large (for me) assembly. I have an assembly with 106 parts and 52 are unique. OK not large by most standards. The main assembly has 4 subassemblies, and some of the subassemblies have subassemblies.

OK, so obviously if I show the complete Exploded view on one sheet it will be a mess. So... what I want to do is have seperate sheets for each of the subassemblies, then explode and ballon them. So to my question. Is there a way to be sure that my ballons on sheet

2,3,etc. will be called out correctly on the BOM on Sheet 1?

Or am I going about this the wrong way?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

If you use the New (as of 2004) BOM table you can tie everything back to the BOM on the first sheet. I would suggest using configs to weed out the parts you don't want to explode fore each sheet. I would do a simple test before you do all the setup and findout it doesn't quit work like you wanted it to. One thing you can do is if suppressed parts screw up the BOM use hidden parts instead.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Corry,

OK, I made an assembly with many configs, one for each of the different subassemblies. I have Sheet one as my main assembly exploded into the different subassemblies. And on Sheet 2 I have the first of the subassemblies, brought in as that specific config of the main assembly. Now if I go to properties, I see the "Keep linked to BOM" check box, but the "Show in exploded state" is grayed out!??

So, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

OK, I've got the "Show in exploded state" to work as expected. But on Sheet 2,3 etc. there is only "None" in the "Keep linked to BOM" drop down list box!? I would expect to see a "Bill Of Materials1" in the list.

Thanks, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

As each sub-assembly can be manufactured totally independant of the main assembly, and may even be used on several different machines, it is quite normal to use seperate BOMs for each of the sub assys (eg. each BOM will have its own item 1, 2, etc. that do not correspond to the item 1, 2, etc for the main assy). In fact the main assembly BOM may only have 5 items (the sub assemblies and some fasteners to attach them). After all, your may want the client to only be able to purchase the complete sub assy as a spare part.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Thanks Merry,

But it's not a machine. It's a consumer product, so all subassemblies are necessary to complete the product. I just broke it down to managible sized assemblies.

Thanks, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs