Assembly drawing super slow, please help.

I have an assy drawing that consist of 4 sheets.
The sheets consist of:
1st sheet 1 main view 4 detail views
2nd sheet
1 main view 5 detail views
3rd sheet 2 main views 1st main view with 4 detail views 2nd main view with 1 detail view
4th sheet 2 main views 1 detail view on each main view
This drawing is VERY slow to work with. Example, when changing the scale of a detail view, it takes 20-25 seconds to update. Dragging notes or balloons takes seconds, when it should be instant.
The assy consist of 415 components.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I even tried creating a seperate drawing file for each sheet, but the individual files still seem very slow.
You call that slow? You ain't seen nuthin. You can't even take a powder and get a cup of coffee in that time.
Bet you want some practical advice too. This is what helped me:
1. Remove all fasteners from the assembly unless absolutely needed. 2. Have configurations for parts with fine detail removed. 3. Make sure that all mates are robust and cherry free. 4. Hide all complex views you aren't working on at the time 5. Work in shaded mode and draft mode till you absolutely must have it the other way.
What video card are you using? Going from a std consumer type card to a fire gl T-2 was the best $200 we ever spent on hardware. Even if you have a good card, its worth trying different drivers, if even only to eliminate them as a cause.
Monitor task manager. Check your memory useage. If "Commit charge total">("physical memory total"-"physical memory available") by more that 20-30 meg then you are probably using virtual memory and need additional ram.
Turn off the system-drawing options for smooth dynamic motion and show box contents while dragging, unless you have to have them at the time. Ensure that your document properties image quality has not been messed with (ie. you turned it all the way up so that you could select a vertex that was being a PITA, but forgot to return it to a reasonable value).
If any of your drawing views are shaded, check to see if any of the visual properties have been altered. Optical properties other than default are resource hogs. Check to see that no materials or textures have been added unless required. I think someone has a macro that resets all visual properties and assigns random colors to each components that might be useful here.
I can't fully understand this one, but, fonts other than standard windows/sw ones seem to cause me lots of problems even when TT.
Create a new configuration for your assembly and place a fresh view of it on a new sheet. Supress components in groups to see if its an issue with a single sub-assembly or component. I have an actuall full model of 2 1/2" diameter 10" length perforated tubing, 3/16" holes on 3/8" centers, staggered pattern made from sheet metal. It will bring any system to its knees.
Not better? Try unsupressing all components and supressing all mates (provided you do not need dynamic motion or require further updating). Fix all components.
Good luck!
--
Brian Hokanson
Starting Line Products

Sounds like detached model would your solution. It has worked very well for me. See the posts on "detached model" elsewhere in this group.
Regards,
Dennis