B DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE FILES COME UP IN DETAILS MODE

I have close to a half million folders on my hard drive. I am using xp Most of the files come up in the View icons mode. I hate that mode. Is there any way to make them all come up in the details mode.

I know about going to tools - > folder options-> view apply to all folders.

But it just does not work on my computer .

some drives come up in the details mode and other drives come up in the icons view.

I was told that the operating system can only remember so many file configureations and it takes a change in the registry to increase the number remembered.

Does any one know how to handle this.? . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

If you set your view options in My Computer, it should remember it for all folders.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

On 05 Dec 2003 10:38:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.community (BUSHBADEE) Gave us:

i KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO DO THIS, BUT I WON'T TELL YOU, UNTILL YOU POST BACK WITH A PROMISE TO STOP PUTTING THAT RETARDED "B" AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR HEADERS.

It is very easy to do... both what you want, and what I want.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:22:00 GMT, "Don Phillips" Gave us:

You are a little vague, considering that the person that you are responding to has to be handheld through ALL of the menus involved.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Well some one came up with the answere somewhere else. It is just the opposet. You have to turn off the remember view configurations in tools view.

I believe the program can only remember so many different file configurations so unless you change the number in the registry, it will not remember all the configurations if you have to many files.

But if you cut out the remember configureation, it will always come up in the last setting in the view menu.

It is easier to go to thumbnails in the comparitive few photo files I have than have to go to view and get details every time I open a file. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

You post the way you want to and I will post the way I want to. There are now three of us who know how to do It I guess. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

On 06 Dec 2003 06:38:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.community (BUSHBADEE) Gave us:

You can customize every directory you ever enter, and it stays, and there can be a f****ng million of em.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On 06 Dec 2003 06:40:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.community (BUSHBADEE) Gave us:

You're a retard.

Reply to
DarkMatter

In article , BUSHBADEE writes

Try it at a higher up folder or the root folder.

As usual you do not know what you are talking about. There is a number somewhere in the registry that controls the number of files that can be remembered. Else you could use all your memory to just remember file types.

I suspect you do not have enough files to have faced this problem. I do have enough to face it. But as usual you are shooting your mouth off with out putting your mind in gear. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

I have found out how to do it. You have to uncheck " remember file types." It just can not remember all the types if you have to many files..

When you turn on your reset the view from the default "Icons" and set it to "Details" and it will stay there no matter where you go. Which is what I wanted. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

On 07 Dec 2003 01:46:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.community (BUSHBADEE) Gave us:

I have over 200GB on this system alone. The max cap is near 300. I'm nearing full... again.

There are a couple hundred thousand directories.

The view settings get stored AS A FILE... IN the directory that gets customized, ya dipshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

The max number of folders registry setting you mentioned refers to how many IF you have the box checked. Unchecking the box and applying the desired view to all folders is obviously the solution if you want ALL your folders to look the same. Otherwise you need to increase the max number of folders' settings XP will remember - in the registry.

By default, Windows XP will remember the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders. After that, XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder, and its view setting will be lost. The information is stored in the registry by two keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

These keys can be modified to make XP remember more folder settings.

1 - Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools--Folder Options--View--Advanced Settings. Ensure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked. 2 - Open Regedit and go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. Right-click on "Shell", then follow to New--Key--DWORD Value. Name this item "BagMRU Size" (without quotation marks, but with a space between BagMRU and Size). Double-click BagMRU Size, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK. 3 - Now go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam. Create another BagMRU Size DWORD Value for "ShellNoRoam". Again, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK. 4 - You will have two "BagMRU Size" values equal to 0x000007d0 (2000). 5 - Close the registry and reboot. Windows XP will now remember 2000 folder view settings instead of 400.

Perion

Reply to
Perion

In article , BUSHBADEE writes

That seems to have worked for me - I was having the same problem.

This time I printed out your post before I try to send it.

AOL has been blowing me off when I try to do things like go to groups. It is stable and I can remain connected to it for hours but it was intermittantly blowing me out when I tried to go to news groups, change setting and finally when I tried to post a prior answere to you.

That is what I thought I had seen a way to change the number , as you note below, but the person who posted it got into the niceties of binary numbers and the way to do the job got lost in the shuffle.

I turned off look the same because that gave me a partial, but satisfactory solution. Doing that, when the computer came up with Explorer I had but to one time change the default setting from icons to details. That was ok. When I went to go through my extensive photo files, I just set it to thumbnails and when I get through, set it back to details. A satisfactory but not the best solution.

Now your solution below is what I was looking for. Simple straight forth and no explaination of binaries numbers which I am already quite familiar with.

There it is, all neatly wrapped up in a simple, direct step at a time set of instructions. How neat. Thank you for that. This time I printed out your answere before I try to send this answere. Can I set it at over 2000 folders. I have about 200,000 folders on the computer and about a million files. I use the computer for research and store all sorts of info on it. I do not need all of them remembered, but probly more than 2000 rememberd

Perhaps you can give me a quick answere on another one. There is a way to set the registry back to an earlier copy. I have done it a couple of times and I even made a note on my computer monitor of the path.and I have "scanreg /restore" but I believe there is something more to it than that as it no longer seems to recognize the program. In any case scanreg is not a recognized program on my computer at the present time.

Scanreg /? mark does not bring a list of commands and the only scanreg on the computer seems to be scanregw.exe.

Now in the help files there is lots of bringing back the registry, except a clear file on how to do it or so many files on the subject, none seem appropo.

I will now save this text to my file incase aol blows me off again when I try to send it

to elect eng cc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

Hey don't rub it in. He knows he is an idiot. It is the Christmas season, have a little charity for the friggin retard. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

Why do you think any one cares why a dumb ass like you miscalls something. We expect it of you. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE

I don't know if the actual code for Explorer contains any upper limits other than the DWORD data type itself which is 2^32 - 1. I would guess that for higher numbers you'll probably reach a prohibitive value in terms of performance. Just experiment. Remember, the value you are adjusting is the upper limit for the number of folders' whose view settings XP should keep track of.

I would use System Backup/Restore. It creates a snapshot of the registry and some other registration databases and allows you to return the system to some previous state - see

?scid=kb;EN-US;309340 or regedit for backing up particular keys vs. the whole registry - see
Perion

Reply to
Perion

eXCELLELNT That is exactly what I was looking for. I could not remember how I did it last time. This time I have put the web pages on my hard drive and printed out copies of all 4 sites. Thank you very much for your post. . . I DO NOT FOLLOW MANY OF THESE NEWS GROUPS To answere me address mail to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
BUSHBADEE