Co - Ni welds

Dear Memebers,
I am welding Ni - Co coupons and macro etching them. My intent is to
observe how good theose two metals mix together in the weld pool. Does
anyone have recommendation about what type of etchant gives the best
result?
Best Regards,
Enis Onur
Reply to
enis.onur
I found a prescription in an old germen book by Gunther Petzow. He recommends the following solution: 20-30 ml destilled water 0-20 ml Nitric acid (1,40 density) 20 ml Hydrochloric acid (1,19 density) 10 ml Hydrogen peroxide (50%) The solution should be freshly mixed. Etching time 2 minutes
Alternative is 125 ml saturated FeCl3 600 ml Hydrochloric acid (1,19 density) 18,5 ml Nitric acid (1,40 density) The solution is used boiling. Etching time 5-10 minutes.
I have no personel experience with these alloys or etching solutions, but hope you will succeed.
Regards Kai Wøldike Sørensen Technical University of Denmark
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Kai Wøldike Sørensen
Or perhaps you could look up the binary phase diagram? From memory they are mostly able to form solid solutions in each other
Bob
Reply to
Bob Redfern

Site Timeline