Difference between types of Steel for katana swords

Hi!

Need to know the difference between these materials:

1)polished stainless steel

2)heat tempered steel

3)stainless 440 steel

4)heat tempered carbon steel

And these two manufacturings:

a)half hand forged and fully hand polished

b)Full tang construction

I'm asking as I'm buying a sword to expose it in my house. Don't need it for laido or combat or what.. Can you tell me?

Thanks, John

Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni

It sounds like you've read an advertisement. ;) Where was it?

Alvin in AZ (cross-posted to rec.knives)

Reply to
alvinj

Sounds like a decorative sword. So pick one that is pretty. (in best Billy Crystal imitating Ricardo Montalbalm) "Is better to loook good than to feel good"

Reply to
Del Cecchi

If buying for looks only, go cheap. Of your list, I think the heat tempered carbon will be cheapest.

Just don't hand it to anyone to play with.. beware of rusting.

-- Ted Bush

"Pain is my form of self-expression"

Reply to
Bush

If looks is all that counts avoid the rust: go stainless. You don't even want it sharpened and temper or the lack there off doesn't matter.

Reply to
deowll

Just lookin 4 swords on eBay :)

Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni

I've heard HTCS (heat tempered carbon steel) it's better. 440 Stainless Steel is preferred cuz it can b polished. It's a lie? HTCS is stronger than 440? They told me it's 440 a, or b so I think it's not worth the difference. The stronger and better between the three 440 is C, or am I wrong?

Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni

Is it really so easy that an Heat Tempered Carbon Steel blade gets rusty?

Does it need particular attentions?

Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni

If it's stainless, don't bother worrying about the strength. It's only strength is in not rusting. I suppose that's a good thing if you plan to hang it on the wall. NEVER do anything else with it though. Carbon Steel is better for a sword that will actually see use but a lot depends on how it was heat treated too.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Buy a Paul Chen. Most decorative swords aren't even good as fire pokers. I know, I've melted 2 of 'em. Steer clear of anything that claims to be antique. Unless you know what you are looking at you'll be taken for a ride.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Thanks! To both :)

Another question: does 440 j2 exist? or is a mistake? I've read about

420 j2, but 440 j2... Can't find it...
Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni

Keep a light coat of oil on it and it will be fine. If you get it wet, be sure to dry it and oil it again. I may patina or darken over time, but that's usually a good thing. If you don't like it, any sort of metal polish will quickly get it bright again.

-Will

Reply to
Will

I think 440c is definitely better. See

and scroll down to the charts. C has more carbon, is stronger and can be made harder. I don't know about swords, but at a hardness of 51c, 440a would make a pretty sorry knife. Also, both carbon and stainless can be polished. I've never polished stainless, but carbon steel polishes very well.

-Will

Reply to
Will

Could be either way. In the long run it won't matter tho, they'd both be stainless steel. ;)

Prob'ly a typo.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I won't get into the relative merits of different stainless steels as knives but you're talking swords here. The only thing a stainless steel sword is good for is hanging on the wall - I don't care how much carbon is in there. It's the chromium that wrecks everything. A sword needs to be able to flex and still hold together. You won't get that from stainless. Nobody in their right mind will mess with a stainless sword. Period.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Yeah! Think you're right. Know what: just wanted to buy a medium-quality blade at a low price...but maybe it's impossible! :)

Thanks.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Reply to
gianluca.gaiardoni