Preheating

I am currently a student and I was asked this question but don't quite
understand and I was wondering if anyone can explain it to me some. Any
help will be very helpful. The questions is:
Why do you pre-heat larger pieces of steel at a higher temperature than
that of smaller?
The only conclusion that I have come up with, which I am not sure if it
correct, which is to help to prevent martensite getting into the steel.
Any direction to help me figure this out will be great.
Reply to
Chopster
Smaller cools off much quicker. Bigger temperature gradients.
Yep. You don't want the steel to crack.
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Martin Jørgensen
Reply to
Martin Jørgensen
Depending upon the alloy, one reason is this:
If the part is thin, it will most likely cool rapidly after welding and preheating (or increasing the preheat temperature) will not be effective. A post-weld heat treatment may be necessary. A thick part will retain the heat longer and preheating will help prevent martensite formation in the heat affected zone.
Reply to
Atlas Shrugged

Site Timeline