Re: detection gold on human body

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.il (angel) writes:

In which case, detecting gold *on* the body is likely to prove a futile exercise. Once your employees wise up, they will conceal purloined gold *in* their body. Cavity searches will not be enough, either. With Au being inert, the best concealment would be to have swallowed the metal. While nuggets of gold would show in x-rays, gold dust would disperse in the stomach contents, so may not be all that conspicuous. Subsequently, to recover the gold the thief would merely have to improvise a settling tank at his home, and stir its contents from time to time ...

On 26 Aug 2003 07:24:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.il (angel) scribed these bits:

Can dogs smell gold, or be trained to recognise it. If they could have a sniffer dog sniff it out.
Another method may be to have a sting operation to buy the gold back, and see who is trapped.
X X X X X
On 26 Aug 2003 07:24:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.il (angel) wrote:

Angel, I have been thinking this over, waiting to see what others say about this. sadly, I have yet to see anyone hit the core of the problem. If they have, I must have missed it.
It's called trust. If you have a mine that does not have men you can trust, it doesn't matter how rich the ore is. Eventually the lack of trust will literally nickle and dime your company to death. There can never be 100% trust and there can never be 100% honesty. That's life. You just need to make sure the men and women you have working for you have some kind of reliability.
This can be remedied by hiring managers and supervisors that you KNOW you can trust. Not everyone is out to get rich at the risk of losing their job. Managers and supervisors especially. They have the years of experience you need behind your company and most likely certifications to prove it. If they screw up at your operation, that will be a heavy burden on them seeking employment elsewhere.
The drillers and the muckers and powder monkeys, they are a different sort. I have known a few of each, from my own experience in mining, mostly. And I have met a few that had experience, but you couldn't trust them with much of anything. By far the biggest cause is alcohol or drugs. Or, they just don't care. They were carefully weeded out by the supervisors as they had the know-how to separate the losers from the winners, so to speak.
Yes, it is wise to have some method to make it difficult for miners to "hi grade" the mine. One I encountered is exactly the opposite of what you want. You want to prevent it. One mine wanted to promote it.
There the rule was if you found some ore you wanted to keep, show it. So long as you showed it, odds are you could keep it. In some instances if they likesd the specimin, they'd offer you some cash for it. Not the market value, of course, but more like a finders fees. No, if they wanted it and you didn't want to give it up, you had no choice. After all, the ore and the mine is theirs, you're just doing the work. That mine, just a handfull of employees, was successful until the owner had a stroke. Not the only reason, but the biggest.
The theory that worked off of- and as far as I could see, it worked- is that if the miners get a percentage of the profits, as the ore they took home would be, the more effort is put into improving the production and quality of ore. And when a few rich streaks were hit, the guys that hit that streak got a really nice bonus.
Angel, if you can't trust or rely on anyone at your mine, it doesn't matter how rich that ore is. You must have good competant people working it. Otherwise it won't mean anything if you have stacks of gold bullion down there ready to be trucked off. It still has to come out of the mine.
And with that said, I realize that you may not be in mining. I suspect not as a competant professional mining engineer or a competant professional mine manager would know these things. But in any industry, the theory holds the same. Trash is still trash, you can't change that. But when you have good employees, they are, essentially, the proverbial Golden Goose. In any business you have four primary concerns- Customers, Product, Employees and Management. All three must be strong. 1. If you have a bad product, it doesn't matter if you have good employees, because the customers will soon go elsewhere. 2. If you have a good product but bad employees, your customers will soon grow tired of them and again, go elsewhere. 3. If you have a good product and bad management, good employees will be very hard to come by and therefor you'll have a high turnover rate resulting in #2. 4. If you have a good product, good employees and good managment, customers will be many. With the exception for market rates. If you have a good product that depends on the market, you might have a problem. Mining is a really good example.
In any case a reputation is soon created. Good reputations are what keep businesses going strong. Bad reputations are hard to fight, and they can be a serious downthrow to most any company.
No guarentee that will answer your questions, but I hope it helps you somehow. TM
-- Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality. Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."
Remove "3+4" from addy before replying
All you have to do is use a simple metal detector. You have a moving field by virtue of your detecting motion and the detector operates at a certain frequency. It's simple to differentiate between metals simply by virute of how they modulate the frequency. Piece of cake and a total blast! Man, you walk around and all of a sudden the rocks start talking to you. Gold has a distinctive sound sort of like the sound of a miramba.
I am telling you, it is a blast to drive out into the woods at Big Bear and prospect a stream. The rocks talk to you with all sorts of frequencies. When you get a signal that is possibly gold, you dig and try to get the sound to appear in your plastic gold pan. Then you pan it. Land fishing!
But seriously, I have an assoicate across the road who makes all sorts of metal decting equipment. I'll give him a buzz tomorrow and see what he can do.
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/gmt.html
On 17 Sep 2003 21:03:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@csical.com (Doug Morgan) Gave us:

Not when it is in your body in elemental form, dipshit.
(Doug Morgan) Gave

The tittle of this thread says "ON" human body, tihspid!
Gave us:

I seem to remember some were talking about gold in the body.
You are correct, however.
The detector also changes with the amount of material such that discriminating what conductor element is being detected is very difficult, and most gear is keyed toward simple conductor detection as opposed to discriminated detection.
I could give you my ex-wife's telephone number. She could smell gold on a body a mile away.