gold leaf sizing on melamine

I am think of covering my white melaine cupboards with gold or silver leaf. Does anyone know if the sizing will stick well on melamine? thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tippi

You want to cover an entire cupboard with gold leaf?

Have you priced gold leaf, and seen the small size of the sheets that it come it?

By the way, I've never seen silver leaf. Perhaps this is because gold has special properties that allow it to be formed into a very thin layer. To the best of my knowledge, silver lacks this property.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

it's not hard to come by. you can also get lots of other metals in leaf or foil.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
David Billington

"Melamine"....certainly, if you do a proper initial prep by a breakin

of the slick glaze to a matte with very fine wet-n-dry sandpaper steel wool, Scotch Brite, etc in order to get a good porous basing fo the adhesive sizing along with the all important final degreasing of th surface with a solvent just prior to the sizing application..

Ed

-- Edd Whatley

Reply to
Edd Whatley

On 6 Apr 2005 10:29:23 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

Leaf comes in gold, silver, copper, aluminum, and tin plus the imitation types of each.

Sizing is shellac, and it won't stick well enough to melamine, even if scuffed, for the OP's purpose.

-------------------------------------------- Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gold leaf over white melamine cupboards?

Look - that idea is just so tacky it probably won't need any sizing at all.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

LOL, good one! I was actually thinking of silver/aluminum leaf, but thought people would know about "gold leaf" better (seems I was right). Thanks to all who responded, so it's back to the drawing board about what I can do to boring white melamine.

Reply to
Tippi

On 8 Apr 2005 14:17:31 -0700, the inscrutable "Tippi" spake:

Route it out and do some intarsia/inlay/marquetry with wood, metalized or colored epoxy, flat wire, etc. See

,
, or
for more info.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use silver leaf, in glass bead making. So yes it is available, just not as common. [Use gold leaf too]

jk

Reply to
jk