UV coating on melamine

=_NextPart_000_0072_01C3EAB6.4D596EC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi: I like to use UV resin coating on the melamine to increase its = scratch resistance, my ideal is about 80% of solvent and 20% UV resin, = solvent can swell the surface of melamine as well as do not destroy the = surface, after heat a little bit, curing with UV light. However, no matter what solvent, I can't get good result, because = there are no suitable solvent which I can find swell melamine well, many = kind of UV resin just coat on melamine with no adhesive, you can bend = it, and it is brittle. Its mean UV resin only curing on the surface, it = is not "eat" into the melamine.=20 Is there any UV resin can adhesive melamine well? or introduce to me = some solvent can swell it well, please help. Thank you.

Chyun Lee

Reply to
leechyun

A silly question but are you talking about melamine plastic or mylar.

Melamine in my experience is brittle already so I would be very suprised to see a coating chipping off of it given the rather small deflections that melamine allows. That and most resins I have ever tried on melamine stick without issue. If the surface has a vastly different surface tension than the coating (due to surfactants in the plastic or contamination)then your problem is not that the coating is only curing on the surface, there is no interface between substrate and coating. Are you prepping the surface well? I would rough the surface a little with fine sandpaper then wipe with acetone to swell the surface and create micro-texture on the substrate for the coating to adhere to.You might also consider a primer coat you can't change plastics to one without the surfactants or if you can't find a uv resin system that will stick.

Another possiblilty is that you are overcuring your coating, reduce the time under UV until you find the shortest time that gives you an acceptable cure, and see if that helps.

Hope that helps

ghostwriter

Reply to
ghostwriter