1-14 thread

Well, let me see if the piece I made from aluminum is still on the bottom of the antenna. I think the antenna is leaning against the garage wall along with a bunch of other antenna parts. I will have to took this evening.

Paul, KD7HB

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Bass distrib, has it for $7.35

I'd just throw a little money at the problem.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

You are a strange fellow. I tell the truth and you tell lies. One can only speculate why?

You might try listen to the song, by James Brown, amongst others, "Don't Tell a Lie About Me and I Won't Tell the Truth on You".

Goodness, Gunner you are famous. Had a song written about you.

Reply to
Good Soldier Schweik

With a lathe, you should be able to do so nicely on a lathe, using a sharp enough tool. (What is the actual OD of a 3/4" PVC pipe? I don't have any handy to measure.) If the OD is larger, first turn it down to 1.000" prior to threading. It looks like the tap drill for a

1"-14 is 15/16" so hopefully a 3/4" PVC pipe would have enough meat. Otherwise, I would turn what was needed from solid Delrin.

Are you planning to mount it on the top of a sailboat mast, as suggested by the second ebay item?

I'm not sure how a die would work on PVC, however. The commercial threaded PVC fittings are moulded, not turned or otherwise machined.

[ ... ]

Again -- what is the actual OD of the aluminum conduit? It should be fairly easy to thread on a lathe.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

He admitted in a later post to having confused it with 1/2" PVC pipe

He did not say "metric", he said "mitre gears" -- ones which have a beveled surface into which the teeth are cut to allow power to be taken off at an angle to the input shaft. (typically 90 degrees, but others are possible>)

And your reading ability?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

sux2bu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, don't worry. Remember that silver linings always have clouds. Or something like that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Another possibility is to use a 1/2 inch pvc pipe coupling. Might not be long enough.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

In 6 months, I've already lived to regret not having more retirement income, but I knew that going in. This old bod couldn't have put in 4 more years as a handyman. But having the house and vehicle fully paid-for has overcome 2 -major- hurdles. If I still had a mortgage, I couldn't have retired when I did.

And this year, I won't have to come up with a couple grand for biz insurance, licensing, bonding, or continuing education courses.

Being single and having a low threshold for entertainment ($9.99/mo for Kindle Unlimited and $8.99/mo for Netflix) thrill me to no end, and make my life simpler and easier to afford than most.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I finally found the antenna and unscrewed the piece I made. It is a 4" length of 1 3/4 inch aluminum rod. One inch is turned down to 1" and then threaded 1-14. You would still have to do some machining to utilize it, and even if free, the shipping would be more than you can buy a PVC piece for.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Thanks for checking, Paul. I am going to buy the two dies and cut it either out of SCH 80 PVC or aluminum pipe. I have about 30 feet of the PVC, and maybe 50 feet of the Aluminum, if my dad didn't find it when he lived next door. He found a brand new 'Bud' 19" aluminum rack panel and cut it up for some project of his. That was about $30 wasted. I know that he wadded up some of the pile to sell as scrap aluminum. He had no idea what that stuff cost. :(

One end will be 1-14 UNF, the other will be 3/4 NPT. I may offer some to people on the test equipment groups to pay for the tooling. a lot of people want an affordable frequency standard. I might even build them a couple at a time and sell them as complete systems on Ebay. I figure that I will have a little over $100 in the hardware and electronics. The cheapest commercial package is in the thousands.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ayup. I know better than to just lie down and die, like too many friends I've known. I'm relentlessly curious, so I'm always finding things to learn and do. I see other people couch-potato out and that just disgusts me.

I'm putting in more solar, finishing the CNC router (then learning BobCAD, BobART, and CNC programming), building an e-bike, etc. For the past several years, I've been stockpiling materials to do some stained glass, leatherwork, acrylic painting, and a few other things. Soon, I'll have the time and energy to do it.

Right now, it's time to sprout things, so my raised-bed garden has to double. Peat pots are wet and seeded, and the little greenhouses are ready to produce. New mounds in my front yard (de-grassed 5 years ago) will have 9 different new rosebushes and many short perennials soon.

I'm turning down large jobs by the handful every week, now that it's sunny again. It's funny how mad people get when you tell them that you can't do a particular project for them. It's just weird! "Then why'd you advertise in the paper? blah,blah,blah" Hah! I ask them what "Small Jobs Only" means to them, since it's the middle line in my newspaper ad. That ad comes down in late September, as my license expires early October. Then I keep the truck to do only my own jobs. When friends ask me to move them, I say "OK, only $95/hr with a 10 hour minimum, payable in advance. Here, sign the breakage waivers." Unless I volunteer, the truck and I don't do dat.

I'll have 31 years sober on July 8th. (that 4th of July weekend damnear kilt me way back when)

Yeah, you showed me his pics with her a few months ago. Atta Boy!

Yeah, good attitude. My friend Glenn is busy all the time, too. He retired 3 years ago. I have a teensy bit of work to do in the shop to make it presentable, too. It looks far too much like -yours-.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's no -room- for them, unless I give up the deer path...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

After working 12 years 120 miles from home, I was offered a package; unfortunately I was six weeks too younge. Apparently, a lot of telephone lines overheated when they found out and made the six week extension. Even though I went out with only 46% pension, I was money ahead when I took off the cost of going to work. Best move I ever made and I still can't figure out how I had time to hold down a job. Also, the work related BS was getting to me - haven't had a stress headache in 22 years and am way ahead financialy. The only employment I've been involved in was when people who once worked under me invited me to come work for them for a couple months - had a great time and was well paid for the three months of 90 hours per week. Fully in favour of early retirement!

Reply to
geraldrmiller

I get my first social security check one week from today!

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Congrats, Karl. Now let's hope the gov't holds together long enough to keep the checks coming during our lifetimes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What on Earth were you doing working that far from home? Did you have a room near work and only go home on weekends? Gunner has his RV for that.

Yeah, if you were driving 2-3 hours each way every day, it makes for a short evening and a short sleep period.

I've been self-employed since 1991, so I didn't get a package last October when I semi-retired. Social Security is all I get.

The IRS, in their infinite wisdom, decided to keep most of my refund this year, even though I won't be making the same income this time around. I just found out a few minutes ago when I saw a small deposit in my bank which I didn't recognize. $148 isn't $410. Time for a 3 hour phone hold while I wait for a 1 minute IRS consultation.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, I rented a room from an elderly couple and ended up inheriting every penny plus more after the lady passed away eight years ago. I worked the system and worked a four day work week so that I was only away from home three nights per week unless I was in the field in which case I might bs away for two or three weeks or being home every night collecting "private accommodation" allowance while sleeping in my own bed with SWMBO.

By renting a room nearby, I could get half my day's work done before the caffeteria opened at 07:30, before the people I needed to talk to left home. OTOH my supervisor (09:00-17:00) used to get pissed off when I left voice mail for him at 07:00 and then left the field office for the day (I didn't rate a cell phone and wouldn't have accepted on if offered).

The present setup sees me get an income tax refund of $150.00 while SWMBO who is liable for income tax assesment of $70.00, due to income splitting get a refund of $1200.00. She's happy!

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Cool. So you didn't drive home daily?

I grok that feeling.

So, I got lucky. I only waited 46 minutes on hold. The woman who answered sounded precisely like the stereotypical gov't worker. (like Pooh's Eeyore on downers) for the first 90% of the call but sounded human and upbeat for the last minute or three. Anyway, she said they never received my 4th estimated payment, yet they sent me a form saying I had a $1,042 credit with them (which warned that if it wasn't claimed chop-chop, I'd lose it!) WTF,O? Anyway, I'm hunting down the check stubs now.

As an OBTW, she said that they received my tax check the year before but no paperwork, so please send in a hardcopy of that while I'm at it, and make sure to sign the 1040 with blue ink so they know it isn't a copy. ??? (Who else would submit a 2 year old set of tax forms?)

I'll bet.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did buy a die on Ebay, and rethreaded one end of a 3" piece of

3/4" pipe made for a sprinkler head. I didn't have a die handle big enough to hold it, so it was fun holding the pipe in one hand, and the die in the other to re-cut the threads.

AFTER I had it cut, I finally found a place to buy a handle.

I have been off Usenet for some time, due to both health problems, and a problem with the anti-virus software on the old computer. Every time it would update, it would remove files needed to run my news reader. That would lock up the system, and flash its blue ass at me.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell