1-14 thread

04:59:40 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Yes. The conjecture is that a cable with one end, will have at least one other end.

However problems with them have no end. --jsw's conjecture
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:31:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

See Murphy reference post today. <sigh>
--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.

That Murphy guy is a true genius. He waits until I install software and make a few changes to the computer hard drive before he yanks the end of the USB cable out of the jack in the front panel of the comp. Utterly brilliant misdirection skills, this guy.
--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 07:02:17 -0700, Larry Jaques

Correction: "yanked it out 1/16 of an inch." Just enough to look good but not make connections.
--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.

I know, as you're already read.

It looks to be a good combination of programs which I think I'll enjoy. Thanks for the referral.

It was only the first time which I didn't, and ended up with those damned things all over my poor box. Requests to CNET to default those checkboxes to _unchecked_ fell on deaf ears and earned no replies.
--
It is easier to fool people than it is to
convince people that they have been fooled.

And the vaunted Gunner comes pirouetting out onto the stage to entertain us yet again.
We are told that 3/4 pipe has an 3/4" O.D. and it takes metric gears to thread 14 TPI.
Will he ever stop amazing us with his wisdom?
--

Cheers,

Schweik

Tries to put you down? Goodness gracious no., Just trying to shine a little light on the problem.
But how in the world could anyone put you down further then you are already. You can't pay the taxes on your shanty, you used to have $10,000 in the bank, but not now, you would have died except for what might be called "socialized medicine".
Wake up man. You are the bottom of the pile.

--

Cheers,

Schweik

You are a strange fellow. I tell the truth and you tell lies. One can only speculate why?
You might try listen to the song, by James Brown, amongst others, "Don't Tell a Lie About Me and I Won't Tell the Truth on You".
Goodness, Gunner you are famous. Had a song written about you.
--

Cheers,

Schweik

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    He admitted in a later post to having confused it with 1/2" PVC pipe

    He did not say "metric", he said "mitre gears" -- ones which have a beveled surface into which the teeth are cut to allow power to be taken off at an angle to the input shaft. (typically 90 degrees, but others are possible>)

    And your reading ability?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

That mounting thread is standard marine thread for antennas and has been for decades. I have an old vertical antenna from the 1960's that I thought was for the old 2 MHz marine band. Antenna analyzer shows it's a CB antenna.
You should be able to find what you want at any marine electronics shop.
Paul
Paul Drahn wrote:

I haven't found a mount to do what I want it to. There aren't many marine electronics dealers this far inland, and what I've seen online just won't work. The last one I found was a small shop in the Florida panhandle, around 1990 when I was building a TV station in Destin. :)

Well, let me see if the piece I made from aluminum is still on the bottom of the antenna. I think the antenna is leaning against the garage wall along with a bunch of other antenna parts. I will have to took this evening.
Paul, KD7HB
On 4/4/2016 10:11 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:

I finally found the antenna and unscrewed the piece I made. It is a 4" length of 1 3/4 inch aluminum rod. One inch is turned down to 1" and then threaded 1-14. You would still have to do some machining to utilize it, and even if free, the shipping would be more than you can buy a PVC piece for.
Paul
Paul Drahn wrote:

Thanks for checking, Paul. I am going to buy the two dies and cut it either out of SCH 80 PVC or aluminum pipe. I have about 30 feet of the PVC, and maybe 50 feet of the Aluminum, if my dad didn't find it when he lived next door. He found a brand new 'Bud' 19" aluminum rack panel and cut it up for some project of his. That was about $30 wasted. I know that he wadded up some of the pile to sell as scrap aluminum. He had no idea what that stuff cost. :(
One end will be 1-14 UNF, the other will be 3/4 NPT. I may offer some to people on the test equipment groups to pay for the tooling. a lot of people want an affordable frequency standard. I might even build them a couple at a time and sell them as complete systems on Ebay. I figure that I will have a little over $100 in the hardware and electronics. The cheapest commercial package is in the thousands.
On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 4:15:08 AM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:

Bass distrib, has it for $7.35 http://marine.bassdistributing.com/seaview-ltb-top-standard-1-14-thread-for-gps-or-similar-LTBU I'd just throw a little money at the problem.
George H.

    With a lathe, you should be able to do so nicely on a lathe, using a sharp enough tool. (What is the actual OD of a 3/4" PVC pipe? I don't have any handy to measure.) If the OD is larger, first turn it down to 1.000" prior to threading. It looks like the tap drill for a 1"-14 is 15/16" so hopefully a 3/4" PVC pipe would have enough meat. Otherwise, I would turn what was needed from solid Delrin.
    Are you planning to mount it on the top of a sailboat mast, as suggested by the second ebay item?
    I'm not sure how a die would work on PVC, however. The commercial threaded PVC fittings are moulded, not turned or otherwise machined.

    [ ... ]

    Again -- what is the actual OD of the aluminum conduit? It should be fairly easy to thread on a lathe.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 10:25:43 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Another possibility is to use a 1/2 inch pvc pipe coupling. Might not be long enough.
Dan