1-14 thread

I need to mount a GPS antenna. It has a 1-14 internal thread. 3/4" electrical fittings are similar, but they are .050" over 1". I need to
thread something to fit. Can you thread the O.D. of 3/4" PVC pipe, or will the threads be too rough when you finish? I don't want to pay $11 for a piece of PVC with the thread that is made to mount one on a light bar.
Mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281906635962
Antenna: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111734469938
I may have some 3/4" aluminum conduit left, but I don't have a 1-14 die.
Does it need to be made of PVC, that sounds dicey to me.
Acetal is a great material if you need easy machining and no conductivity.

Find a tube its a slip-fit over. Shim with tape if its wobbly. Drill near the bottom edge of its threaded socket for a self-tapping retaining screw.
On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 1:15:08 AM UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote:

If this is 3/4" NPT thread (14 tpi, nominal OD 1.05"), just use a PVC threaded nipple; most hardware stores can supply that. The thread is tapered, the leading parts of the thread will fit in fine, it'll get tight deeper...
Threaded nipples are NPT, tapered; the electrical fittings that don't fit, are NPS, straight.
whit3rd wrote:

The thread inside the antenna is straight, and a pipe taper will only go in about one turn before I would need to use wrenches on it. The pipe thread starts .050" larger that the internal thread on the antenna. It is the same 1.050" start of the taper on both water and electrical 3/4" fittings, or I would have already put it up. :(
On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 1:34:01 PM UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote:

Do you have a pipe tap? I'd open the female threads up, myself. Also, I've seen malformed threads (crest too pointy) that come on plastic threaded items, and have fixed a lot of '"it's too tight" issues by whittling the crests down. Steel doesn't flow like plastic, so the made-for-steel taps and dies don't create those pointy crests except on PVC.
whit3rd wrote:

I would rather have a properly threaded mount, than a modified antenna, in case it needs to be replaced in a hurry. This is a standard Marine GPS antenna but the boat mounts are overpriced and don't lend themselves to this application. There is one more problem: The molded threads bottom out right against the coax. By the time a pipe tap was deep enough, the coax would have been chewed off. The housing is completely glued shut, and there is no way to replace it. I have another type of GPS antenna with a built in down converter. (Meinberg, output is at 35.4 MHz) but it only works with a PCI card (Meinberg GPS170PCI) that goes into a computer. You can have up to 700 meters of RG-58 between the antenna and the PCI card.
The system that I put together will run off of about 2A @ 12V DC. It is built from components from old Cell tower sites, and they were removed during upgrades. It provided both frequency and time signals for the site.
On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 5:27:14 PM UTC-7, Michael Terrell wrote:

Well, I have threading dies for 3/4 pipe, would be willing to bet (1) a hardware-store nipple in PVC has enough bulk to hold, (2) chasing the threads on the hardware-store item would reduce it enough to fit. You DID get a few threads to engage.
Alas, if you need true 1-14 straight threads, the best I can suggest is an allthread rod in stainless (McMaster has 'em, but not at a friendly price). That's gonna mean, though, that you have to make a tube out of it before your cable fits. It's not clear that the 'pipe nipple' PVC item has the right clearance for a (?BNC) coax connector, either.
1-14 die at MSdiscount.com runs a little under $18 (USD). Trying to use it on PVC is gonna be sticky: soapy water might help.
whit3rd wrote:

Did you look at the link I posted for the marine GPS antenna? The coax exits the side of he base, right above the threads. I would have preferred it to go straight out the treaded hole, but Marine antennas don't mount that way :(

Are we to assume you don't have access to the obvious solution, a lathe?
--jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

No, I don't. I have been trying to pick it up for several years. At first, he didn't have 'the time' to dig it out of storage, and now that he has dug it out I don't have his new home address or a telephone number. If I did, I would have already tried to make one or maybe a dozen, while it was set up. All I get are vague directions like, "He lives down there on the left, on the four lane..."
It is an old Atlas lathe that also needs a few gears, but there are a lot of different gears for that series, on Ebay.
On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 20:11:07 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Right past the old blue barn that used to be there.
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
Larry Jaques wrote:

No, they like to use names of businesses that closed more than 25 years ago, or the original street names in use before the county decided to number almost every street. It's just as bad. :(
On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 06:20:04 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Yeah, same/same. <sigh> It sucks to be offered a tool you need and not to be able to pick it up. BTDT.
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

sux2bu
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

Well, don't worry. Remember that silver linings always have clouds. Or something like that.
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

In 6 months, I've already lived to regret not having more retirement income, but I knew that going in. This old bod couldn't have put in 4 more years as a handyman. But having the house and vehicle fully paid-for has overcome 2 -major- hurdles. If I still had a mortgage, I couldn't have retired when I did.
And this year, I won't have to come up with a couple grand for biz insurance, licensing, bonding, or continuing education courses.
Being single and having a low threshold for entertainment ($9.99/mo for Kindle Unlimited and $8.99/mo for Netflix) thrill me to no end, and make my life simpler and easier to afford than most.
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

Ayup. I know better than to just lie down and die, like too many friends I've known. I'm relentlessly curious, so I'm always finding things to learn and do. I see other people couch-potato out and that just disgusts me.

I'm putting in more solar, finishing the CNC router (then learning BobCAD, BobART, and CNC programming), building an e-bike, etc. For the past several years, I've been stockpiling materials to do some stained glass, leatherwork, acrylic painting, and a few other things. Soon, I'll have the time and energy to do it.
Right now, it's time to sprout things, so my raised-bed garden has to double. Peat pots are wet and seeded, and the little greenhouses are ready to produce. New mounds in my front yard (de-grassed 5 years ago) will have 9 different new rosebushes and many short perennials soon.
I'm turning down large jobs by the handful every week, now that it's sunny again. It's funny how mad people get when you tell them that you can't do a particular project for them. It's just weird! "Then why'd you advertise in the paper? blah,blah,blah" Hah! I ask them what "Small Jobs Only" means to them, since it's the middle line in my newspaper ad. That ad comes down in late September, as my license expires early October. Then I keep the truck to do only my own jobs. When friends ask me to move them, I say "OK, only $95/hr with a 10 hour minimum, payable in advance. Here, sign the breakage waivers." Unless I volunteer, the truck and I don't do dat.

I'll have 31 years sober on July 8th. (that 4th of July weekend damnear kilt me way back when)

Yeah, you showed me his pics with her a few months ago. Atta Boy!

Yeah, good attitude. <g> My friend Glenn is busy all the time, too. He retired 3 years ago. I have a teensy bit of work to do in the shop to make it presentable, too. It looks far too much like -yours-. <g>
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

There's no -room- for them, unless I give up the deer path...
--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 07:35:59 -0700, Larry Jaques

After working 12 years 120 miles from home, I was offered a package; unfortunately I was six weeks too younge. Apparently, a lot of telephone lines overheated when they found out and made the six week extension. Even though I went out with only 46% pension, I was money ahead when I took off the cost of going to work. Best move I ever made and I still can't figure out how I had time to hold down a job. Also, the work related BS was getting to me - haven't had a stress headache in 22 years and am way ahead financialy. The only employment I've been involved in was when people who once worked under me invited me to come work for them for a couple months - had a great time and was well paid for the three months of 90 hours per week. Fully in favour of early retirement!
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada