100 or 200 amp service

wrote:

How about a 200 amp service panel installed with a 100 amp main disconnect now, and update to full 200 amp service when you have the money? Would not be the first one to do it that way - likely not the last either. 100 amp fused main disconnects should be easy to find used/surplus.100 amp breaker disconnects may be harder to find.
Taunt wrote:

This is an all gas house and may be on a special discount rate from your gas company. I know I am.
Just something else to check on. changing to the electric dryer may change the gas rate.
Howard
Thanks to everybody for their input on this subject.
I have been able to show all the posts to help convince everyone the upgrade is needed and not just for ME, ME, and ME (Shop).
Thanks again, Jack
I had errored in my first post... I thought I had only 2 more slots left in the breaker box.
Just got the keys today.
I went back and took a second look and I'm using 16 of 22 slots, looking at the outside panel. I don't know how many is under the panel (Magnetrip Zinsco).
Jack
Taunt wrote:

Just a small point here. A 200 amp box will have a lot of breaker spaces. The main breaker in the box or the breaker feeding the box does not have to be 200 amp. I have a 125 amp panel in my shop which is fed from the main house panel (with the meter) witha 60 amp breaker. But the 125 amp panel gives me breaker slots to spare. Bob AZ

Open breaker spaces inside the panel is one thing, having enough service capacity left to run them all is another...
If you have an all-electric house with small electric wall or baseboard heaters or radiant heat panels in every room, you can easily load the panel to 'full' and have half the slots vacant. Stick on more loads, and you'll be tripping the Main.
Under-loaded is almost always better than overloaded. ;-P
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700