110 volt combo mill/lathe

I am looking into buying an inexpensive 110 volt combo lathe/mill and I wanted to get some input. I plan on using aluminum most of the time to make bushings, spacers, etc and the mill to make small parts. I looked at Harbor Freight, and Enco but I would like to find out if there is another brand that I can look at that is reasonably priced or where could I find used machinery. I live in the Dallas area so there is probably some dealers but I wanted to know what to look out for. Thanks, Mike snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net

Reply to
Mike Francis

Be sure that you fully understand the drawbacks of any machine that you consider. I spent good mone on a Smithy years ago only to learn that the qaulity was so bad that the machine was all but worthless. Make a list of every operation you will ever need to do on your machine and make sure that you can do it on the machine. Sometime certain operations on a 3 in 1 machine are just not worth the trouble that you have to go through to do it because of changing gears, lack of a halfnut for threading and general lack of rigidity that a larger machine offers.

Reply to
GMasterman

I need to second GMasterman's sentiments. Heading into a semi-retirement I just recently looked into purchasing one of the "3 in 1" machines after a 17 year hiatus from being anywhere near a machine shop. After much hand investigation and hand wringing I decided to get the HF 7x10 mini-lathe (and Little Machine Shop's 14" bed kit), and the HF mini-mill. The ate up nearly $1000, but I feel it's a much better setup than any combination machine that's in that price range--maybe any of them unless space is really at a premium.

Reply to
Cliff Knight

The inexpensive 3-N-1 machines will probably be a big disappointment. Even the fairly expensive 3-N-1 machines are often too compromised to be satisfactory for some tasks. I'd suggest you consider separate machines. The mini-lathe and mini-mill sold by HF (and others) would probably suit your needs better. Even though they are individually smaller machines, they are less compromised than a 3-N-1, and you'd probably be happier with them.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

|I am looking into buying an inexpensive 110 volt combo lathe/mill and |I wanted to get some input. I plan on using aluminum most of the time |to make bushings, spacers, etc and the mill to make small parts. I |looked at Harbor Freight, and Enco but I would like to find out if |there is another brand that I can look at that is reasonably priced or |where could I find used machinery. I live in the Dallas area so there |is probably some dealers but I wanted to know what to look out for. |Thanks, |Mike | snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net

Mike Check out

for the cheapest prices on the same stuff. They have a traveling road show, so may be able to save freight. Example - 7x10 lathe $299 mini-mill $399 mill-drill $599 mini-mill-drill $199 Anybody know what their pricing is at their local sale events?

Like all of them, you will need to clean and adjust for best results, and you still have to buy tooling.

Rex in Ft Worth

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Picture is of my latest project done on my Shoptask 3 in 1. Other Projects are at
a Goggle on Shoptask, and 3 in 1 you will find news groups that has users of 3 in 1.

Bill Cotton

Homier was here in Cinti. last week and those were the prices at the show. The lathe they had was a 7x12 for 299.00. Dick

Reply to
rhncue