Opinions about end mill quality

I just won a pair of new Duramill 5/32" five flute end mils( ULT-50156) online. I paid $9.61 & shipping. The OEM prices them at over $20 each. The packaging is marked 'C8 Duralube'.

Good brand? Junk, or somewhere in between?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Five flute on an EM that small is certainly unusual and would be expensive. I'm curious, what would be the advantage over four flute in something that small? FWIW, I nearly always use two flute on 1/8 and smaller.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

More flutes compensate for lower top spindle speed?

Reply to
Pete C.

I've never used any five flute. They were the only reasonably priced

5/32" I could find. This area only has a couple industrial suppliers, and they want full suggested OEM for stock items, and even more for sizes they don't stock. They make Grainger look cheap. :(

They will be used to mill some plastic right now. I bought a new 5" Drill Press Milling Vise recently, and will have to do the work on my drill press, since the two mills I usually have access to are both over scheduled right now.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

C8 plus 5-flute sounds like carbide.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It may be. There was a message on their website that DuraMill had stopped selling carbide and HSS in 2008.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Would you mind telling us how that works out? I have always struggled with plastics.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sure. I have to cut some clean holes in some plastic external hard drive cases. The OEM molded a pair of holes over one set of latches, but not the other. I also have to make a pair of tools to depress all four latches at the same time. They will be pairs of 1/8" drill rod with either wood or aluminum handles. I'll try to get some photos of each step. I still have two new cases to practice on before opening the ones with drives.

The reason for this job is they are usable for both USB or Ethernet interfaces. The ethernet interface doesn't show up as an IP address, so they are invisible on your network. I use them to store driver software and utility programs for repairing computers. Also, you can use a set of three as a small RAID system.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell