Don Foreman

A piece of crap is giving it more credit than it deserves. Don't waste your money.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Now THAT is a serious 12v compressor. Looks a lot like a SCOTT 4 pole motor. A Scott F236 is an 1800RPM one HP constant duty DC motor.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

To the poster who mentioned GM cars have compressors..which models do I look in, and where are they located?

Gunner, a mile from a Pick A Part

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Well you could buy it from them. I bought a replacement motor for one of there older portable units (they don't make it anymore) one time.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Bingo. The motors are Scott brand.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Anything with air suspension or auto leveling. My TransSport had it in the back corner. Useless thing too. Definitely NOT designed for constant use.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Cadillac and Buick, for sure, came so equipped. I dare say even Olds, Pontiac and, Chev would have them, although not every car..I believe the feature was optional.

High end Ford uses them, too, but I haven't seen them. Ask the guys at Pick A Part for cars that have the adjustable shocks. I'm not sure you'll find the compressor in the same place on each vehicle, but it will be under the hood, near or on the inner fenders is where I've found them. I've only removed one, but have seen several. You can buy one new from the parts department, but they're really proud of those little bastards. Well over $100, as I recall.

They look very much like the ones you'd see in those little plastic cases, sold at auto parts stores.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

My personal favorite has always been surplus motors made by the Chiaphua company, specifically their CIM division:

They make the motors you find in electric wheelchairs, automotive parts, electric appliances, all sorts of stuff. Being affiliated with the FIRST robotics competition, we get a fair selection each year. My favorite is
no load rpm's, 343 oz-in of stall torque. CIM also makes a motor originally used in minibikes, PM3010N2X-D111O, which is about

3000 rpms, 50-60 oz-inches. The ones we have came with, IIRC, XL series timing belt pulleys and spring tensioners already installed.

For a compressor, a motor like EB4024N4X-A201R, designed for a hydraulic pump, 1400 rpm, 103 oz-in would probably be ideal.

Reply to
woodworker88

Any older Cadillac with air suspension. But I thought that little gizmo was more common in Lincoln Town-Cars and Mark-*.

Note that these are NOT high volume pumps - they're meant to raise the suspension bags once or twice a day, not run truck air horns for extended "blasting at idiots" sessions. We have way too many idiots around here, which is why I suggest the 1/6 HP or larger units and at least a 2-gallon reservoir...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman