230V arc welder hookup question

Hello, I just bought a welder from an auction. It says on the front that it is a 230V/ 480V welder, but on the back there is only two black wires coming out. I am trying to hook this up but I am a beginner at this so any help would be appreceated. Also, would I be able to hook this up to a 5700 Watt generator that has a 240V outlet?

Reply to
Twelveletter

And what is the model and make of the welder?

Ignoramus8193

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1162786058.551740.141230 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

What is the input current requirement? You will have to take the cover off the back and see what the previous owner had it wired for (230/460)

Reply to
Anthony

You can connect it to the genny, just don't try to weld with it. Welders, particularly those with 480 volt option, draw a lot more than

5700 watts.
Reply to
Don Foreman

Get us a make and model of the welder, and any other info off the spec plate, since many units that are 230/460V also require 3-phase - if you don't have three phase power you may be out of luck.

Either way, there will be an internal terminal board where the power cord hooks up to switch the voltage input. You HAVE to open it up and check this setting, as well as inspect for damage or debris inside that could cause a short circuit before trying to power it up.

As to the generator, you might be able to hook it up and weld small items at the lower settings. But I'll betcha you have more welder than generator, and it'll stall the generator engine if you try cranking the welder up all the way and striking an arc.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to