ridgid pump - this thing for pumping hydraulic oil? or pipe threading fluid? or? (pix)

buddy gave me a small ridgid pump, told me "it's for hydraulics", but looks to me more like it might be for pumping cutting fluid, maybe on one of the bigger ridgid pipe hreader machines?

I posted some pix, would some kind soul take a look and TELL ME what this is supposed to be pumping, and, hopefully, on what?

pix are here:

thanks guys :-)

toolie

Reply to
dave

Well it could be a gear (possibly a screw) pump, suitable for pumping lubricating oil. Doesn't look much like a swash plate as often used for hydraulics. But I suppose you could run lowish pressure hydraulics with a gear pump?

Reply to
Newshound

Some excavators use gear pumps. The ones I've seen operate in the

1750-2000 psi range, if I recall correctly.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

That's definintely a RIDGID threading machine cutting fluid pump- I can't tell you how many times in my 30 year career as a General Motors pipefitter I had to clean and repair those things. Looks just like the ones used in the

535 machines. Jerry
IRONDOG

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I've got a test stand with a gearrotor pump pushing 2700 BAR. (~40,000 psi)

Reply to
Anthony

thanks irondog and all you other guys :-/

so I guess it's 'good' for pumping lightweight fluids at fairly low pressures, but might NOT be so 'great' for pressurizing a hyd cylinder on my 'tilt-trailer-wanna-be' frame

toolie

Reply to
dave

Nope, that's for flood oil coolant through pipe cutter dies - maybe

25 PSI and a large volume, and to be at least a little resistant to metal fines in the oil that get past the suction strainer.

For your tilt trailer you want a standard 12V lift gate or plow package pump that puts out 2000 - 2500 PSI.

But now you know what it is, and where you can sell it - for a spare or for spare parts...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman