Hydraulic pump oil and rotation

I've been rewiring on my Mazak M4 CNC lathe for three weeks now. Today, I hit the reset (Estop) button and the hydraulic pump came to life. Got power all over and life is good.

I've got no oil pressure. I'm sure the pump has lost its prime, its been sitting two years. What oil should I use? Do I need to prime it? The other possibility is rotation, there's a 50/50 chance its turning the wrong way. This is fixed by switching any two of the three phase lines. How do I check this? I looked all over the unit and can't find a rotation arrow.

I thought about undoing a supply line, but if it takes hold, I'd have a REAL BIG MESS. Should I find a way to do this and trap the output oil to a drum or something?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

First switch the phases to the pump, check if the rotation to the coolant pump is correct, the pump should pick right up on both units

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

Karl, The direction of nearly all pumps is the direction with the greatest distance from the inlet to the outlet. This is true for centrifugals, rubber impeller, gear pumps (oil travels around the outside of the housing NOT through the center) etc.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

WOW, simple and elegant. Even makes sense. This is something I can really use as I have a lot of other pumps to deal with.

Thanks

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend