2ndhand metal bandsaw?

I am looking to buy a metal bandsaw. I was looking at 2ndhand, as I reckon I get a solider machine for the money.

What sort of gotchas should I look for? I do know that metal bandsaws take a lot more forces on the blade and presumaby the guides than a wood one, so I want to know what gives, and where to look for trouble.

Any help appreciated.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

Grant Erwin has an excellent primer on bandsaws. Perhaps we can prevail upon him to post it here again. Please, Please.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Is this what you were thinking of:

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Yep. That's it.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

The only reason I compiled this is that there is NO WAY to add anything to the r.c.m. FAQ and has not been since like 1995. We need to fix this!

Grant

Robert Sw> Yep. That's it.

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:33:47 -0700, Grant Erwin vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Very useful, thanks. I see you recommend the Bandsaw Handbook. So the metal saws are much of a muchness with wood ones? I have the BSHB already for my wood saw..

am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.

Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I find it amusing some times to watch people drill metal. Particularly with a variable speed drill. I used to cuss and fuss at more helpers and apprentices about this until they either caught on or went somewhere else.

When drilling steel or other metals, I watch the cuttings. If they are coming out, the drill is working fine. There seems to be a speed where the bit works the best. I guess it is relative to the diameter of the bit and the hardness of the metal. But once you pass that speed, you will smoke the bit. Pull it out of the hole, and it will be blue on the tip, or even orange!

Why is this simple concept so difficult for some people to grasp?

Was it Yogi or Lasorda that said, "You can see a lot by observing"?

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:50:23 -0700, Grant Erwin vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yeah, I can see there are similarities. BUt I thought there may be a few differnt problems with high pressure/slow speed vs high speed and lower pressure.