What kind of bushing material?

I would like to machine (to hone my beginners skills) some bushing for various car parts that I am restoring.

How do I know what type of material to use? Enco Catalog lists several types of brass, are any of them good for bushings?

Is there a general rule?

Thanks!

Paul Farber

Reply to
P. Farber

I think you want oilite, a porous bronze saturated with oil.

Reply to
Nick Hull

************************************************8

If you want a 'general rule', it would be to use the the same material as the manufacter had used.

If you could ask about material for a specific part, it would be easier to give you more help.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Brass makes very poor bushings. It extrudes too easily, and doesn't have the best anti-friction properties. Brass makes good fittings but poor bearings. Bronze is what you want, and for general-purpose bushings C93200 is the right stuff (what the oldtimers knew as 660). It is tougher than brass, but machines just as easily due to its lead content. Oilite is a brand name. Oilite makes a wide range of sintered bearings and bearing stock, and they have different applications. Some are designed for higher RPM lightly loaded shafts, others are intended for low-RPM heavily loaded stuff. Their chief advantage is their self-lubricating properties. And many of them have lots of iron in them; they're not just bronze.

Reply to
Dan Thomas

I'll note that a bearing house will have all kinds of bronze bushings available and you may find what you need there without the need to do any work or minimal work to get a usuable bushing.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May