45 Colt brass redux

And others, because they cannot do it, deride those who can and do. I don't do a lot of legwork. I have wanted to get out and see what I can really do with some effort, but my list of honeydos, home improvements (current kitchen remodel), and spats of health issues give me a fits and starts performance.
A relative of mine works at a prime Las Vegas Strip restaurant that has a country and western theme. He called and asked us if we knew of anywhere we could get him some stuff. We went looking, and in less than a week made more than $4k. They were absolutely thrilled with the stuff we came up with, and were absolutely amazed at the Packard hubcaps, spurs, child's pony saddle, 80 year old license plates, etc, etc, that we found, and the prices people were selling for. We go there for dinner, and remember the places and people we got the stuff from, and it's a neat experience. Some of them were straight out of "American Pickers."
But, as you know, it's easy when you see something that is worth $500 and the guy wants waaaaaaaaaaay less than that, it's almost sinful to take it. I let the seller set the price, and may haggle downward. I NEVER lowball anybody, offering $75 on a $500 item. Many times, they will come off with a price that is LESS than what I have in mind.
We are a dying breed, Ig. When the rest of the planet is starving, and the wheels are falling off society, we'll just be rolling along saying, "What?"
Steve
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:29:22 -0700, "Steve B"

So ignore the derision and quietly laugh at them for paying retail+ for everything they buy.

You put that on your 1040 form as the IRS requires, too, didn't you? Good lad.

Whassat?
Yeah, I always let them set the price, too. And when it's truly low, I don't dicker. I just agree after bobbing my head back and forth like a scale, weighing the transaction. They feel better and I get the deal.

Don't forget Gunner and me, too.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Steve, You and Ig may be able to appreciate this. I've figured out what the key to the 21st Century is...
During the 20th Century the key was development and expansion. Science discovered, engineering implemented, and WE (the great unwashed masses) - consumed.
But the 21st Century is a bit different.
A week or so back I broke my computer lamp. I was digging around behind the computer and knocked it off and broke the green class shade.
So I went to Walmart and bought a new small lamp for the computer.
The old lamp was brass plated steel (METAL!) This one is cast resin with a cute red shad.
Unfortunately, it was broken in the box. The resin shaft was broken.
There were plenty of opportunities for it to get broken. It was made in China and traveled half way around the world to get here. But my immediate suspicions were that someone dropped it on the way home with it, and returned it to Walmart - broken.
Walmart, still hoping to turn a profit on it, put it back on the shelf and sold it again. That's how I came by it. (there is one born every minute)
But upon looking at it. I decided that 15 seconds worth of Super Glue would fix it - and nobody could tell it had eveb been broken!
So I fixed it. And it sits on top of my computer right now.
So I've come to believe that the key to the 21st Century is to replace broken things with less-broken things...
Like Russia in the 1950's - 1980's.

In times of affluence, I must admit to having "just bought another one" instead of taking 15 seconds to SuperGlue the old one and get ten more years service out of it. I think that is changing now, and we will see more Depression Era attitude of fix it and keep the old one running until failure mode.
And the good news is that there is enough supply of quality made goods that are twenty years old sitting around, being sold at yard sales very cheaply that will outlast this current crop of plastic crap that is being sold, and the talented fixit guy will win out.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

God bless, I hope you are right...
--

Richard Lamb

One of my most cherished possessions is an old brass lamp (really! Solid brass gas pipe fittings) \that I pulled out of a neighbors trash (55 years ago).
Five years old...
I picked it up from a neighbor's trash pile and brought it home. I promised my mom I would clean it up. (it had been painted with gold paint!) And I did. I cleaned the paint off. Polished the brass to a sparkling shine.. And she took me to the hardware store for a new cord (still on it, btw)
So this new broken (resin) lamp has resonance with me...

In Russia, they would probably join the two pieces with insulation tape.
Ignoramus2244 wrote:

I CAN FIX ANYTHING! (where's the duct tape?)
--

Richard Lamb

CaveLamb wrote:

Not the bottom of your boat. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Why not?
(on the other hand, my bilges are bone dry!)
--

Richard Lamb

You can temporarily fix the bottom on some boats. I have an aluminum river jet boat. 3/16" thick bottom. No me, but others have used duct tape to tape a piece of aluminum or plastic over holes in the bottom of the boat, to limp back home after putting aluminum stripes on the wrong design rock.
Califbill wrote:

Getting back to the dock is one thing but who would trust their life, or their boat to duct tape?
enough left over to pay them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIY-QauOxRY

Myth busters DT boat.

Califbill wrote:

I've seen some brands of duct tape start to peel in a few weeks time, and it wasn't under water, just exposed to the elemenets. Your life, your boat. Do what you want.
As far as Myth Busters, they do make mistakes.
enough left over to pay them.

Myth Busters is based about 30 miles from where I live. I take art welding at times at the local JC. The instructor hates MB. Bad welding practice and safety, and the tattooed lady that welds for them at times, used to work for him in private industry. Was not the best welder he had from the feelings I get. Different grades of Duct tape. Originally was aluminized medical adhesive tape to seal ammo cans. Friend worked at Anchorage airport when a Japan Airways 747 slid off the icy runway and cracked the tail assembly loose. Boeing showed up with 3' wide, 1/8" thick duct tape and taped the tail together, removed all the seats and the test pilot flew it back to Seattle. And the duct tape for leading edges of helicopter blades that is referred to as 125 mph tape.
Califbill wrote:

None of which you are likely to have on a boat when you need it! ;)
enough left over to pay them.

Cringe......I believe you are correct.
At least for the next 12 or so years until the last leftwinger has been hunted down and terminated with extreme prejudice.

I find comfort in knowing that hunting season will officially open in about three weeks ........................
Let there be no mercy killings. No fast dispatches. Slow, bloody, and painful. Just like their reign.
Steve
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:04:18 -0700, "Steve B"

And there is no...no bag limit.
Gunner

And I hope there are no limits on methods of hunting.
Steve