A little diamond wheel grinder that I put together

I would assume that fine diamonds are also a waste product of every process that uses larger diamonds, that must have an effect on the price.

I have one diamond cup wheel that is used almost exclusively for maintaining my carbide scraper blades and very rarely for re-sharpening masonry drill bits. I don't really have anything else that I'd use it on.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I was told by several long time welders not to touch their electrode wheel with any other metal when I was working with them. I do the same thing in the shop when we are running stainless. All new tooling inserts, files and grinding wheels and anything else that will touch the stainless including changing the coolant and flushing the tank.

John

Reply to
john

And I wouldn't presume to argue with them. If they're doing any critical welding, or just don't like folks messing with their special wheel, then that's a reasonable request. All I'm saying is that the potential for contamination grinding a tungsten on a normally maintained belt or wheel is below the radar for run-of-the-mill TIG welding.

I spent quite a few years building SS marine hardware for custom boats, and we always sharpened our tungstens on the closest convenient belt sander and never had any problems with weld integrity or corrosion resistance. Our customers were not shy about complaining if our stuff fell short of their expectations or the competition's product. Of course the welds didn't have to be x-ray quality or pass a spectrographic analysis.

This is the sort of hardware I made - digital pics of catalog half- tones, so the image quality isn't very good. And somebody installed that chock with too-large flat heads.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons