Accurate drilling method

Ok, I'm a woodworker the normal ww machines tables saw, jointer, planer... Also have a small metal lathe and a fairly good drill press, plus a set of digital calipers, and a 1" dial indicator. I need to make two pieces of MDF with 3/4" holes 25" apart and 1.5" off one edge as close to those absolute measurements as practicle. Don't want to rely on eyeballs. Suggestions?

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Are you working to tenths or small thousands?

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

I'd like to get to less than 1/100's if possible. The real requirement is parrallel. If I can explain without a picture make two MDF pieces of 3/4" thick material, 4" tall by 28" wide. in each piece is two 3/4 holes 1" from the long edge 25" apart. I figure make one and mate drill the second. But each hole's edge needs to be 1" from the top edge, or 1.375 to center of the hole.

|----------------------------------------------------| | 0 0 | |_______________________________________|

Thanks, Phil

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Phil

Working to hundredths in wood is usually a waste, as a small change in humidity will cause that much creep. If you are good to 1/64 you are doing very well. With MDF, 1/128 might be doable.

Reply to
clare

Since both holes are same distance from edge just make sure you cut the piece exactly to size and then use the method I described previously, only instead of spacer blocks just set the stops in correct place. Use your caliper inside hole to edge of board. Distance here needs to be .250. Then just flip it over for second hole. This is how I have drilled hundreds of plastic bezels which had to be held to a few thousandths.

0
Reply to
V8TR4