acrylic tube

I'm working up a demo model of a special purpose pump (sorry I can't be specific about its' function). and need to find some appx 3 inch dia X 1/4W acryllic tube. The ID needs to be round and smooth enough for a sliding O-ring seal,similar to a hydraulic cyl. Pressure will be low, about 20 psi. Does anyone know of any suppliers for a tube that fit the need?

Thanks

Reply to
John Miller

Someone may prove me wrong here, but I can't see extruded acrylic tube being round enough for a good seal. Even small-diameter glass syringe tube is only round enough for an approximate seal, although it works well when the elastomeric seal is relatively thick -- as it is in a syringe.

If you can use a thick seal, it's probably no big deal. The tradeoff there is getting a seal that's soft enough to fill the gap but which will hold 20 psi (probably not difficult, either). But if it has to be an ordinary O-ring, and if you need consistent resistance from one unit to the next, I'll bet that you'll have to hone the bore to get that close.

But maybe someone knows of a source of such tubing with precise bore roundness.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Yes, I'd avoid extruded tube. McMaster carries cast acrylic tube which should be good enough, depending on the the compliance of the seal. Easiest way to find out is to buy a piece.

8486K557 (Same as 8486K555) Clear Cast Acrylic Tube 3" OD X 2-1/2" ID, 1' Length In stock at $23.88 Each.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

have you tried tap plastics?

Reply to
charlie

Try Modern Plastics. My local branch in Warwick RI and they are pretty good about helping me out when I am befuddled.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff