Adhesives for aluminum?

I want to mount a digital scale to a length of aluminum, but I'd like to have about a quarter inch segment to drill and tap for the scale mounting clamps.

What kind of adhesive would bond 6061 aluminum?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

You might get some newer answers, but there was a lengthy discussion on

9/29/07, subject line is: Gluing Aluminum

The first couple of days' replies were specifically only about that topic.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

You're right about only the first few...

Who carries this? Lord #406-19

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Jim Stewart

McMaster Carr

The key is surface area. You need enough area for the glue to resist being pried away. It comes in a ratio pack tube without a plunger, so you really need the dispenser gun to get a good mix.

It adds a lot to the initial cost, so it is best if have more than a little bit of gluing to do.

You can try mixing by eye, but I suggest using one of their slower setting formulation (406-19 has a working time of

6-10 min).

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman