Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

We are coming :-) - that is there is a machine and software that takes pictures and converts them into objects.

Slices are what are used in 3-D printers - print a slice at a time.

Simply get the scraper to take level down, photo it many times, scrape and replete.

Then into the software all of the pictures and it makes a 3-D model in CAD - allowing a Plastic or Metal or ... material to reproduce the real thing for a show. Painting and texture makes it look real.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I first heard of this being used to make durable replicas of fragile fossil bone fragments.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim- On the topic of history of the old tools you asked about, here's what I have so far (from a fellow blacksmith who is just starting to write a book: "I just started my research on a book on the history of Blacksmithing. I have some information but take it with a grain of salt. It is just from the beginning of the search.

Bronze rasps have been found in Egyptian tombs from about 1200BC. Iron rasps in Mesopotamia for around 700 BC. Hardened metal files date back to the Middle Ages around the 12th century AD.

There is a hacksaw in the Viking Mastermyr tool chest found in Sweden. That chest is generally believed to date to the late Viking/early medieval period ( around 1000 AD).

As to the leg vice, I do not have much detail yet. However, there is a clear depiction of them in Denis Diderot's Encyclopedie published in France between 1750-1770."

If I do get any more info, I will start a new topic.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

Reply to
spaco

I'll endorse the speed handle as I do exactly that when reversing the jaws on the 18" 4-jaw on my big lathe. Not sure I'd bother for the 6" chuck on the little lathe, even if I had a speed handle to match the socket in the adjusting screws.

And I'll confess to using an air ratchet when it comes to removing and replacing the 12 socket heads in order to reverse the top jaws on the

6-jaw chuck.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have a 3-D , still trying to get it really working. mostly works.

There are 3-D's that make body organs !!! and all sorts of things. Whole bumper system - for verification and bolting on...

List goes on and on.

The neat one is making candy and icing. 65K colors and the fancy food line.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Pete -

Georgius Agricola De Re Metallica - re-printed and translated - was on

- might still be - I think Amazon took over printing of his data - I believe the owner passed. Anyway - good book.

This was first printed in 1520. It has some really interesting information. Documented earlier date for iron and so on. Methods, pictures (wood cuts) and is 8x10x 1.5" (approx) in size.

isbn 0766131971

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Not for me. On-Topic postings are welcome -- even if they prompt discussion as to their advisability. (And even that improves the on-topic to off-topic ratio. :-)

However -- for reversing the jaws on my 6-1/4" 3-jaw there is no need to run them out and back in -- I use two-part jaws so I can use soft jaws at need.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Showing only Amazon sales on that page.

download PDF here:

I grabbed a Kindle format of it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Segway was an early user of 3-D printing for prototype parts. My initial dislike of it came from reworking and patching the brittle plastic with epoxy, until they got an ABS machine that could make durable structural components including hinges.

The plastic ink for the mid-80's Howtek ink jet printer that triggered

3-D was quite brittle when printed, though strong when injection-molded.

In addition to precisely placing dots of ink we could put a jet in continuous squirtgun mode with a Purge cycle. No one was a skilled enough artist or sculptor to take good advantage of this, they only used it for blotchy freehand tee shirts. The corporate (gun) culture wasn't right for me to mentioned or try to imitate Jackson Pollock.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And here's Diderot's Encyclopedie

And, just for you, the Cold Steel Saber Training Manual. ;)

Larry Jaques