advice for a strong draw/counter pull

I am making a pull out counter top for a kitchen island ( the island will be
moveable)
The frame of the island is made from 2"x2" ¼ angle iron and will be 52" x
32", what I want is a 12" x 50" (or about 50") pull out counter so you can
sit at the island to eat or drink. I want a STRONG smooth slide. I was
thinking of having 1" OD round rods inside the cabinet base that are hard
mounted then having it outer sleeved with a 1" ++ ID tube that has a
mounting point. What is a good clearance? What is a good material for the
outer sleeve that will slide smooth on the steel rod? I could use bushings
if needed. If there is such a beast out there that would be great.
Click here to see the progress

Needless to say this has cut into my metal working time, but the floating
island will have more metal chips than wood J
Reply to
wayne mak
This stuff looks like it might work for you.
Shawn
Reply to
Shawn
Wayne,
If you're in Canada I'd check out Princess Auto, they have some absolutely massive three-section drawer slides. Don't know if they are the right length......they were much too long for me since I was looking for 18" or 20" length.
The three section slide allows the full depth of the drawer or counter top to be withdrawn from the cabinet.
If you are in the U.S. or elsewhere it may be worthwhile to google on drawer slides or call your local surplus stores.
Just a thought.
Wolfgang
Reply to
wfhabicher
This stuff looks like it might work for you.
Shawn
Reply to
Shawn
Any reason not to use, say Accuride 9301 full-extension drawer slides?
Reply to
J. Clarke
I have applied UHMW poly tape to dresser drawers so that they slide smoothly.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster