All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist?

Are there any combinations of stainless that can be (forge)welded together that could be etched to bring out a pattern?

If so what types of SS would I be needing?

ALSO:

How fast does the natural oxide layer build up on stainless?

I've done some SS to carbon steel forge welding... I've even done it with an oxy/acetelyne torch and a couple of firebricks(nothing big this way)...

I normally grind then sand my steels to a good clean surface... sometimes near mirror. I always leave my SS until last.. I don't know if it helps but i figure the less time it has to form an oxide layer the better.

I worry that if I spend time prepareing many pieces of SS that an oxide layer might build up on the first pieces, almost undoing some of my prep..

Should I worry? What can I do if it might be a problem?

Reply to
John Fly

Check the blacksmithing newsgroup. rec.crafts.blacksmithing IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Devin Thomas makes an all-stainless pattern welded steel using 304 and L-series SS. Since I don't forge (yet), I don't know all the details. Some of his stuff here:

There are probably other combinations out there. I know this one because I use Devin's steels in my knives.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner