Aloris Tool Holder chip breaker question

I have several Aloris insert type tool holders. They all use non- chipbreaker type inserts, but have a combination chipbreaker/holddown clamp. The holdowns have a brazed carbide edge which is adjustable. How close should this edge be adjusted to the cutting edge of the insert? Different setting for aluminum vs. steel?

Reply to
oldjag

According to oldjag :

These are the 16N or 16 double-ended (turning and facing) holders? I'm using the 16N (negative rake) with inserts which have a chipbreaker which turns it into an effective positive rake. I normally adjust the chipbreaker clamp to take up the job right where the groove stops.

But This is because I use it for cutting almost anything from time to time. If I were doing production, I would pick a depth of cut and a feed, and then adjust the chipbreaker for the best results under those conditions. Material, DOC, and feed all have an effect on what is the proper setting.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols