Aluminum Beverage Cans

I remember a thread on this NG about beverage cans a while ago. Here is a series of lecture slides from Metals & Materials Engineering at the University of British Columbia:

There is more metal information here:

Lane

The Tagge's

No. It's 0.2 seconds.

This is not an extrusion. It is a draw. These are different processes.

Interesing question. I believe that drawing too fast causes tearing (perhaps due to inertia?).

Mind you, that number isn't really *all* that impressive. I mean, I'm sure the process has been tweaked to the max, but metal forming doesn't usually take very long anyway. We draw car body panels (~2x1.25+ meters) in easily less than a second, and that's during tryout. Production is faster.

Very small parts which are produced in large volumes go even faster. My instructor used to make progressive dies for electrical connectors. The press ran at 800 stokes per minute.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

recently went on a sales call to Logan aluminum in Kentucky , they make the aluminum stock the cans are made from , over 1.5 Billion pounds a year, quite interesting to see them start out with a slab thirty inches thick and thirty feet long , ,

Reply to
williamhenry