American Chopper Cutter/Grinder?

Is that a die grinder I see them using with the small flat cutting blades? Can you get those cutting blades for a regular angle grinder?

Guess it is time to get an air powered die grinder.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes, you can get slitter blades for the 4 and 4 1/2" angle grinder. I have just started using these, although I have been using them on die grinders for forever it seems. Easy to break if not handled during use correctly. A

90 degree air grinder works well in some cases with these blades also. (cutting commode mounting bolts with a portable air tank for instance). I wish the guys on AC would buy a vertical bandsaw and quit struggling so hard in cutting out a piece of metal. I especially chuckle at them in cutting out curved flat plates with the grinder.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

I would have thought that a nibbler would be more portable

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have one of these right angle die grinders. You can buy the small discs and an arbour to mount them on. The arbour ran me around ten dollars and the discs vary from a dollar to about three dollars each depending on quality and brand name. My unit is a cheap import and I can stall it with a gloved hand. This is an advantage if the disc happens to get jammed. I put a swivel connection on the air hose that also has a throttle. Most air tool suppliers have these swivel throttles. That way I can control maximum speed of the unit when I want to grind/cut very carefully. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I don't watch the show but from other responses:

I call them a Wizzer Wheel, like 1/32 or 1/16 thick. Fits a standard arbor.

Buy good ones and buy plenty of them, they can be used up fast.

I think I get more use from a straight grinder, angle grinders are easier to use (sort of) but once you learn how to position and brace yourself a straight grinders better.

Mileage varies when it comes to areas only angle grinders will fit.

Reply to
Mark

A nibbler is a good portable tool, but is somewhat limited by not being able to cut thicker metal, and some units make it difficult to see the cut line during use. These guys seem to have the bucks to buy good stationary shop equipment , anyway. For the average backyard person getting started on his/her way to a shop that will end up being too small, a variety of good, versatile handheld power tools is definitely my recommendation.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

I think their too dumb to operate a vertical bandsaw.

Reply to
Tony

At least they're getting the last laugh. On TV and most likely getting paid for it. Probably selling a bike now and then.

The circle wouldn't be complete without you naybobs flapping your jaws.

Reply to
GJRepesh