Ames #2 hardness checker

I picked up an Ames hardness tester on Ebay. It seems to check out okay (within +/-2 Rc on the Rc25 and Rc 65 calibration bars that came with it), but you have to turn the load knob pretty hard to get to the final load point. The manual advises against lubrication except at the factory during a refurb. Anyone have any time using one of these?

Reply to
oldjag

According to oldjag :

That's the hand-held one? IIRC, it does take quite a bit of grip to tighten it enough. And I would go by their advice with the tool, since they know what affects its accuracy.

I now use a digital readout one by "King" (in King of Prussia PA), which looks at first glance like a bright red version of a little portable Singer sewing machine. :-) Not as portable as the Ames, but easier to use IMHO. (It was an eBay auction -- poorly described, and went for a quite reasonable price, or I would still be using the Ames. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll live with it the way it is, just seemed a little hard to turn going to the 150 kg full load point for a rather delicate looking handle.

Reply to
oldjag

According to oldjag :

[ ... ]

Well ... 150 KG is 330.69 pounds, so it is to be expected to take a bit of effort.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols