Annealing 1144 toolsteel?

What temperature and procedure is used to fully anneal 1144 tool steel?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
steve

Machineman

1144 is the ANSI spec for StressProof, and StressProof's heat treat will be ruined by a anneal cycle.

But then I've never seen someone supply 'hardened' 1144 - maybe as TGP linear bearing rod? That stuff cuts pretty nicely as-is.

Reply to
Russ Kepler

1144 isn't tool steel. It's a freecutting high-tensile carbon steel and has about 125KSI tensile strength in the as-drawn condition. Shouldn't need annealing if it hasn't been heat-treated. I would anneal it by heating it slowly to dull cherry red and cooling it slowly in sand or ashes.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Steve:

AISI 1144 Steel, annealed at 790°C (1450°F), furnace cooled 11°C (20°F) per hour to 620°C, air cooled, 25 mm (1 in.) round

I believe it's a medium carbon steel. I haven't seen it referred to as tool steel.

George

Reply to
alderotes

In metallurgy class, we were taught that any 1xxx steel is "carbon steel".

A steel starting with other numbers (like the infamous 4140) would be an alloy steel (of course there are lots of different types of "alloy steel").

Traditional tool steels start with A (air-hardening), D (die), H (hot work), O (oil-hardening), S (shock resistant), M (Molybdenum), T (Tungsten), P (plastic moulds), W (water-hardening), etc. I'm sure I'm missing a few. And then there's the newer tool steels that have odd designations that don't mean anything to me right now... CVRxxxx or some such...

I could see 1144 being a "tooling steel" which is probably a wishy-washy term used by cheap toolmakers ;-)

I'm sure Ed (and others) can chime in and prove me wrong, however...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

BINGO!

This is why I lurk on this newsgroup. I have a whole bunch of stressproof, courtesy of an auction. So what is stressproof steel good for? I assume by your comment that I machine it as is (A file will cut it so its not too hard) Any recommended heat treatment options?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Stressproof is a fairly high strength steel intended to be machined and used without any heat treat. Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Good for making hardware that you don't want to bother heat-treating afterward. Years ago, working in an air brake remanufacturing shop, we ran into a new model of air compressor that had a goofy nut for retaining the drive coupling to the crankshaft. These had an unusually coarse metric thread, a hex in inches, and a flange to maximize coupling contact to try to prevent loosening due to reciprocating forces. These nuts were sold by the OEM for something like $50 each, simply because no one else had them. I made a big bunch from 1144, we sold them for about $8 and still made lots of money. I never heard of any failing. The 1144 machines beautifully and is plenty strong. "Stressproof," I think, would refer to its resistance to cold cracking, unlike so many other resulfurized freecutting steels. At .44% carbon it should be hardenable. Might made simple punches and so on for short-run applications, though W steels are better for that.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas