Acoustic annealing?

I just recently heard that acoustic excitation has been used to anneal welds as the are being made. Crudely, I presume that it would be analogous to using a tamper for compacting concrete.

Please tell me where I can find more information on the subject.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Look at US patent # 7,344,609 B2 (Stanikov)

Reply to
Angelo Campanella

Thanks for the pointer. I know someone who claims to have come up with such a process 40 years ago.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Perhaps he is thinking of VSR (vibratory stress relief), been alround for a long time and has some use.

I have not seen the acoustic excitation thing before but after reading the link from Angelo I think it could work like a tamper (used while welding) or a VSR (used after welding).

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

When I first heard about it,it made no sense to me, I would expect that whatever strain would be induced by welding would be very difficult to remove once the weld cooled down. On the other hand, it would not surprise me that vibration would affect crystallization while the well got cooled. I just don't know how.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Seems like a similar affect to shot-peening.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

(snip)

I think so Ernie, but maybe with less stretching of the surface, It also looked to possibly be used while welding (that would really be different).

VSR works with kinetic energy and the whole mass is in motion. The reciprocating and oscillating motions over time cause the structure to yield/compress near the weld to reduce stress risers.

Matt

Reply to
matthew maguire

"Salmon Egg" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@news.la.sbcglobal.net...

The stres relief is normally made with the heat treatment. There are the diffusion processes. Diffuse the alloy elements and the impurities. The vibration increase the diffusion. S*

Reply to
Szczepan