annealing solid rivets

I put some in the furnace today, heated to red hot and let them air cool. What a difference. Now my 7th graders can easily peen them. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reply to
Ron

And you and your students have learned a very good lesson about properties that can be inbued into metals by heat treatments.

Bob May

Reindeer farts, and rudolphs nose jk

Reply to
jk

There probably is, in winter. Ozone forms when sunlight hits oxygen, and the north pole is dark for 6 months. It's hard for the UV to sneak thru an ozone hole in the dark, but that does not sell govt funded research projects (white collar welfare).

Reply to
Nick Hull

Good Answer! Unfortunately, it really doesn't wash.

Bob May