Anvil sold

Thanks for all the advice from this group on selling my anvil (502 lb. 'bri dge' or 'railroad' anvil). I think it was Gunner who kindly listed some an vil prices which encouraged me to aim high in my sale. Started on Craigslist at $2,200, dropped to $2,100 and eventually accepted $1,600 cash. I did have an offer for $1,800 but the lower offer went to a much better home (some 700 miles away). It will be used in a more historic al sense and available to the public to view.

As an aside, I did mention that it had no markings. Research (by the buyer ) indicates that 'railroad' anvils were typically cast by the foundry neare st the railroad yard and ergo there was no reason to brand them since they were never going to be exposed to the retail market. "Nearest foundry" was used probably because of the weight. Kind of makes sense and is believabl e.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and the support from this group. BTW, I never did get to use the anvil. Striking it rings out with an F# tone (o ctave above middle C) with a long sustain. I will be using it as my ringto ne for my phone. While it sold for less than 'top price', I did only pay $

0.20 per pound when I purchased it at a scrap yard.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

purchased it at a scrap yard.

Congrats! This is super grea!

Reply to
Ignoramus28030

[...]

I think $1,500 profit makes it both a "top price" seller and a great deal or you, Ivan. Congrats. Sucha deal!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[...]

You did very well indeed!

Gunner, who yesterday sold an unused HF Russian made 110lb anvil for a $100 bill...and it was still replete with the HF stickers. He however did remove the $89 price tag.

  1. Lie
Gunner

[...]

I found a januwine Chiwanese "survival" knife from HF in my toolbox yesterday. See if he wants it for $25, with FREE priority shipping, OK, mon?

(Are you still sorting files 'n rasps?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[...]

Nope, got your files all in a neatly wrapped bundle, just waiting for someone to pay me enough money so I can have a little extra to put em in UPS and ship em to you.

So far, everything out of the huge pile of Stuff Im going through that Ive sold, has been going to the ex owner. I did remind him that he was going to walk away from everything until I saved all of it...and he did give it to me..and I saved it....but...the poor bastard is living out of his van and needs cash worse than me at the moment. Shrug..So...

Ive managed to sell off about $500 worth of stuff to several people and gave him all of it. And he did loan me $60 so I could drive home last night. Sigh.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

[...]

I was at an auction once, and a used Harbor Freight sandblaster sold for more han it cost new at a store. Same happened to a used HF gantry. At the same auction on the same day, I bought a dust collector for $100, that I later sold for $1,000. No rhyme or reason.

Ignoramus19014

[...]

Let me know what the shipping is and I'll send it to you, check tomorrow or Paypal today, Gunner. Is UPS cheaper than Priority or Flatrate boxes at USPS?

Rough.

He LOANED you $60 of the $500 you gave him? Isn't that shooting yourself in the foot, mon? I thought you used better gun control. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[...]

I've been selling some stuff on eBay recently and have been having that kind of luck on some things. Weird but wonderful. Other valuable stuff goes for pennies. As you said, no rhyme nor reason.

Reply to
Larry Jaques