Any crochet patterns to share ?

On this subject, I wanted some data on silver steel tonight. I searched for "silver steel" and this is what came up:

Which one of you guys is responsible? :-D

By the way, I was wanting to know (very roughly) how much harder silver steel is compared to mild steel. I can get a good variety of round silver steel in small quantities, but have had a little difficulty threading it with a die. Maybe this is just to be expected?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Yes, it is harder. Silver steel is called "drill rod" in the US, so you might get more hits googling.

silver steel here in Germany is 1.2210, the US drill rod is a bit better quality. Yours (British) is quite the same as ours.

1.2210 is 115CrV3 Have no data about strength. MS (CRS) would be 1.0037 AKA S235JR or something in that ballpark. It has a upper yield stress of 235 N/mm^2 or a tensile strength of about 360 N/mm^2

Yes. Use cutting oil (as always), that helps.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:05:10 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Ouch! Not I!

Nevahoiduvit. It's a Brit thing, wot? Googling "silver steel", I find:

1% carbon? Yeah, though I'm no expert on metals, it sounds like it might be tough to thread.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to Larry Jaques :

[ ... ]

Yep! It is their name for what we call "drill rod".

Just as drill rod is.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols