Any good tool sets?

I bought my daughter the Crescent basic set (~$75) that is available from MSC, MCM and the like. The quality appears good, and nothing has broken. Although I have many SK tools, I can no longer recommend them, after having purchased and sent back SK wrenches with the plating flaking off.

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl

Roger, Perhaps a philosophy is the better answer as opposed to what. When I was 12, I got a job scraping grease off of truck chassis that were scheduled for repainting at an auto body repair shop and there I met a sheet metal guy that had been in the business his whole life. He had this most beautiful complete set of Snap-On tools and I fell in love with these tools. One day at lunch, I asked this guy how he could afford these very expensive tools. He replied that he never could afford to buy them all at once, so he would buy a tool every time he received a paycheck. He also advised me to never buy a tool that was not of the highest quality. Well, I took this man's advice and haven't missed a paycheck purchase since that time. I will be 64 next month and I still buy tools. You will never have everything you need, ever. Now, I own a complete machine shop, a sheet metal shop, a wood shop, an electronics shop and multiple roll around tool boxes. I still have most of the tools that I bought in the beginning, with the exception of those that were either stolen or borrowed and never returned. Consider your cost of tools a tax which must be paid forever and then they just accumulate without pain. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I have to disagree slightly. First-rate tools are wonderful if you work inside but they can be lost outdoors as easily as the cheapest ones.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Also, IF you need more tools than you can afford in good tools you're possibly better off with a better variety in cheaper tools. The advantage to cheaper tools is that if you use them a few times you've gotten your money out of them.

When you get "good" tools remember the saying on so many Snap On tool boxes. "I make my living with my SnapOn tools. Please don't ask to borrow them!"

Another saying, "I'd rather lend my dog than my tools. My dog knows his way back home!" :-)

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

possibly better off

is that if you use

Good point. Sometimes you need a thin-wall socket, or a deep one, or 6 point, or a swivel socket. Most of the time a cheap thick-walled 6- point impact socket will do as well on stuck bolts as an expensive SK.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

possibly better off

that if you use

I use mainly Snap-On or SK. BUT I do own a couple cheaper sets as well. Those are the ones I let the relatives and wanderers use if they need tools.. They also are handy when you get a messed up bolt or nut. Just find one that is close and drive it on. Use it and throw away the bolt/nut and socket. That way you are not trying to put that POS fastener back in...

Reply to
Steve W.